Nathan Glenn's Reviews > Princess, More Tears to Cry

Princess, More Tears to Cry by Jean Sasson

M 50x66

liked it

I would probably have given this book a higher rating if I had not read the other books, simply because there is a lot of interesting information that I already received in the previous volumes. I had several issues with this one.
There is not a real unifying narrative here. It seems to have been written more as a series of blog posts, which I think would have been a better medium. Sometimes it becomes repetitive, and I skipped entire paragraphs or pages to be spared another reflection on women's lack of rights in Saudi Arabia (just once is fine; then I want story). The author seems to have forgotten that this is the 4th book in a series, and much of the book was redundant with the first three volumes. Some of the writing is so awkward that I begun to think it was written more by Sultana, until the end when Jean Sasson specifically said she wrote it. There's a big buildup to the final story in the last chapter, but it turns out to be a story that was told earlier in the book! Quite anticlimactic. Finally, there are several long excerpts from Sasson's other books at the end of this book, greatly increasing its size for no good reason.
The information in the book is still incredibly important, however. Sasson uses each chapter to talk about the experiences of particular women, which are all interesting stories. There's plenty of family drama shared, as well. Most intriguing is that the 22 princes of the next generation made a pact to free women in their country once their generation took the throne. Sasson and Sultana apparently wrote the book because the times are changing for women in Saudi Arabia (although it's still awful).
The timeline of Saudi Arabia in the back of the book was quite fascinating as well, especially since it contained a lot of detail for the past few years. It's hard to imagine a place where you can cause a riot by disagreeing with a religion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess, More Tears to Cry.

October 29, 2014 – Started Reading