Carmen's Reviews > Cold Case at Cobra Creek

Cold Case at Cobra Creek by Rita Herron

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, romance, traditionally-published, harlequin-intrigue, she-says
Recommended to Carmen by: Harlequin
Recommended for: No One

It's always bad to read a romance story and not be really convinced that the two protagonists are in love. We have another case of two people (Dugan Graystone and Sage Freeport) meeting and falling in bed and in love with each other in the course of a week or so.

The main problem here is that Sage is so vulnerable. Her little boy was kidnapped 2 years ago by her then-boyfriend, Ron. She is barely living, trapped in the hell of not knowing whether your son is alive or dead. She still cooks him food and serves him at every meal. She still buys a Christmas present for him every year.

When Dugan is tracking a missing person in the woods, he stumbles upon a skeleton. Dental records reveal it to be Ron's skeleton. But there are no traces of the boy. Dugan and Sage team up to re-open the search for her missing son.
...

I don't really believe that Sage and Dugan are in love. Attracted to each other, yes. In love, no. For one thing, it's very easy for a woman (or man for that matter) to fall in love with someone who is acting as their defender, or champion, or protector. I have seen this in real life a thousand times. People thinking they are in love with a.) their divorce lawyer who is standing up against their scumbag husband, b.) a cop who is helping them in some way, etc. If you are VULNERABLE (going through a divorce, dealing with a missing child, dealing with a stalker) it is easy to "fall in love with" the man (or woman) who steps in and shields you from attack, or helps you forge onward or free yourself from a difficult situation.

I'm not saying Dugan is a predator, preying on the weak. But I ALSO don't believe that Sage's feelings for him are genuine. I mean, he's believing that her son is still alive when the cops have given up. He is bringing her son home for her (a heroic, near-impossible task that she thought would never happen). Even IF she knew, in her heart, that she was not in love with him, she might be tempted to offer herself to this man just in sheer gratitude for what he's done. I mean, she can never, ever repay him.

An honorable man would never touch her.

That's the crux of the matter, and what really bothers me about this book.

Not to mention it's more of a mystery than a romance novel. If you are looking for character development and a cute, slow, falling in love - that doesn't happen here.

P.S. What kind of a name is "Dugan" anyway?

P.P.S. He leaves her to wake up in a cold, empty bed after the first time they have sex. This is one action that really pisses me off. I HATE when men do this. What the fuck is his problem!?!?!? What kind of man does this? Disrespectful piece of trash.

ONE REAL STAR, ONE ROMANCE STAR

Harlequin Intrigue November 2014

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Case at Cobra Creek.

October 31, 2014 – Shelved
November 22, 2014 – Started Reading
page 60
26.79% "Sage latched on to Dugan's strong, confident voice and his promise. He seemed to be the kind of man who kept his word.\n But she'd been wrong about men before. Her track record proved that."
page 78
34.82% "Dugan's gruff voice wrapped around her just as his arms did, and for the first time in two years, she allowed herself to lean on another man."
page 98
43.75% "She glanced in the fridge and pulled out a platter of leftover turkey and made herself a sandwich. Although she had no appetite, she'd forced herself to eat at least one meal a day for the past two years, telling herself that she ahd to keep up her strength for when she brought her son home.\n Would that ever happen?"
page 110
49.11% "Her gaze locked with his, the fierceness of a warrior in his eyes. Eyes the color of a Texas sunset.\n - So... His eyes were glowing red? A brilliant orange? Yellow? I'm unclear as to what Herron is saying here."
page 111
49.55% "Dugan cursed himself for his weakness. But one look into Sage's vulnerable eyes and he couldn't not kiss her.\n - Kissing!"
page 114
50.89% "But sleeping with him would be a mistake. She wasn't the kind of woman who could crawl in bed with a man and walk away. She was too old-fashioned. Making love meant more to her than just a warm body."
page 137
61.16% "A second later, he pulled her into his arms and kissed her, his lips telling her all the things that his heart couldn't say.\n - Kissing!"
page 142
63.39% "Condoms, yay!"
page 147
65.63% "I can't believe he left her to wake alone in a cold bed. Minus points."
page 201
89.73% "I don't really believe that these two people are in love."
page 212
94.64% "A small smile tugged at his mouth, and his eyes were sparkling, making him look even more handsome. Come to think of it, she'd never seen him smile."
November 22, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline P.S. What kind of a name is "Dugan" anyway?

A last name. Crappy as a first name.

Carmen Caroline - I know. I thought it WAS his last name until someone mentioned his full name. o.O Just not a name I'd ever use for a kid, although I know last-name-as-a-first-name (Sawyer, Cooper, Mason, Jefferson etc.) are very popular right now.

Thanks for reading and commenting!