Puddin Pointy-Toes's Reviews > A Song for Arbonne

A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay

Jun 29, 2010

A solid story, A Song for Arbonne has compelling characters, good pacing, and a fun (if sometime a little exaggerated) setting. While the plot is thoroughly typical, there's no thinly-veiled attempts to surprise the audience with plot twists: the story instead progresses naturally, the possibilities honestly exposed so that the can freely guess before events turn one way or the other.

More than anything, though, I appreciated that the novel had a clearly-defined beginning, middle and end. So many fantasy works are just installments in some long series which will tease its fans until the characters become so tired one is beyond caring, or the author abandons his creation or grows sick of it himself. Arbonne does not suffer this problem, instead introducing one to a world, telling a tale, and then unequivocally concluding it, leaving just enough plot threads dangling to keep the imagine afire.

It may not be revolutionary or earthshattering, but this is one novel I will remember fondly.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Song for Arbonne.

June 29, 2010 – Started Reading
June 29, 2010 – Shelved
June 29, 2010 –
page 64
10.53% "I'm not sure what to ake of the setting yet, or many of the characters, but I liked the night raid very much."
July 1, 2010 –
page 111
July 2, 2010 –
page 150
24.67% "It'll be nice to get an impression of what happened to Ariane between the prologue and the story proper."
July 6, 2010 –
page 218
July 8, 2010 –
page 290
47.7% "It took a while, but the plot is thickening in earnest now!"
July 9, 2010 –
page 322
July 12, 2010 –
page 395
July 15, 2010 –
page 559
91.94% "On the home stretch!"
July 15, 2010 – Finished Reading