Ryley (Ryley Reads)'s Reviews > My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

My True Love Gave to Me by Stephanie Perkins

Oct 30, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: own, anthologies, read-in-2014

Overall, this was a nice mix of stories. There were some great contemporaries and there were some interesting fantasy/magical realism stories.

I am only giving this book a 3/5 stars because while I did enjoy most of the stories, there were still quite a few I wasn't a fan of. I really loved the Gayle Forman, Stephanie Perkins and Myra McEntire stories. But I wasn't a huge fan of the Holly Black, Kelly Link, David Levithan and Laini Taylor stories.

I would say if you love most of these authors, read these stories. If you don't have much experience with them, this is still a good way to introduce yourself to their writing styles.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My True Love Gave to Me.

Quotes Ryley (Ryley Reads) Liked

Matt de la Pena
“The feeling it gave me was an odd combination of weightless self-pity and excitement. I understood my life was meaningless, and this knowledge freed me up to accomplish absolutely anything.”
Matt de la Pena, My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

Kiersten White
“But people don't need to remember how it felt to be happy and safe in the past. They need to have hope that they can get there again in the future.”
Kiersten White, My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

Rainbow Rowell
“You're a kaleidoscope, you change every time I look away.”
Rainbow Rowell, My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

Laini Taylor
“She wanted to be free, and if she could never be free, at least she wanted to be brave - brave enough not to sell herself, no matter what the payment, or the cost of refusing.”
Laini Taylor, My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

October 30, 2014 – Shelved
October 30, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 8, 2014 – Started Reading
December 8, 2014 – Shelved as: own
page 22
6.85% "Really enjoyed the Rainbow Rowell story."
page 49
15.26% "The Lady and The Fox was an interesting story, not sure how I feel about that one..."
page 83
25.86% "Really enjoyed Matt de le Peña's story... I will definitely be checking out more of his stories."
page 98
30.53% "Jenny Han story was excellent too!"
page 131
40.81% "Loved the Stephanie Perkins story! Really makes me want to get the Anna and the French Kiss series!!"
page 147
45.79% "Still not the David Levithan's biggest fan..."
page 175
54.52% "Don't know how I felt about the Holly Black story, I haven't read much by her and this story was a little odd..."
page 175
page 201
62.62% "Loved the Gayle Forman story!"
page 228
71.03% "Really enjoyed Myra McEntire's story... Will definitely be checking out her books!!"
page 261
81.31% "LOVED the Kiersten White story!"
December 10, 2014 –
page 291
90.65% "Enjoyed Ally Carter's story... Will be checking out more by her!"
December 10, 2014 –
page 320
99.69% "Not the biggest fan on Laini Taylor's story..."
December 10, 2014 – Finished Reading