~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~'s Reviews > Safe in His Arms

Safe in His Arms by Renae Kaye

Kaye pushes boundaries with this book. While it's filled with the author's trademark humour and sweetness, it's darker and grittier than her previous work and deals with issues of past physical and sexual abuse.

When big, musclebound Lon, who works in the mines of Western Australia, catches slim, pretty Casey eyeing him in the showers, he tells him to fuck off or suck his cock. Casey chooses the latter.

From the beginning, Lon and Casey have undeniable chemistry. Even though Lon doesn't want to be anyone's Dom, he likes taking care of Casey, and Lon makes Casey feel safe and protected.
Casey leaned back so he could stare into Lon's brown eyes. "Anywhere is safe as long as it's with you. I just need your arms around me, and I can take on the world."

Lon works hard and comes home to the Aussie equivalent of a trailer park. He is a bit bristly and alone, save for his best friend Paul. Nearly a decade before, a family tragedy changed Lon's life forever, and he blames himself for the horrific turn of events.

Casey's father is a monster. He hurt Casey, but Casey refuses to be a victim. He's still afraid, still jumpy, but he's also giving and more than capable of love.

The writing in this book is superb. Kaye's prose is engaging, witty, and evocative.

The secondary characters are well developed, and the mystery of what happened to Lon's family is a quiet thread in the story.

I particularly liked Casey's friends Devon and Ash (surely their tale must be told? *bats eyelashes innocently*), as well as Lon's brash but kind friend Paul, who is in love with a married man.

But what really elevates this book is the strong, supportive relationship between the MCs.

Besides a singular incident where Lon becomes unfairly angry at Casey, these two are each other's rock. Casey finds someone he can trust, and Lon has someone to whom he can come home.

The age difference (Casey is almost 20 to Lon's 33) is an interesting juxtaposition considering Casey's background. And even though there is plenty of sweet, HAWT sex in this book, there is nothing kinky about Lon and Casey's love.

My only issue is that the character of Olivia is introduced rather abruptly and Olivia's present-day drama takes over the last bit of the book. The last two chapters feel slightly rushed, with too much summarizing of major events.

I was also a little unnerved by Ronnie and Olivia's relationship, and wasn't sure I entirely trusted Ronnie. But family is often messy and complicated, and I can't fault Lon for his love.

The ending is a beautiful HEA. These men find such JOY in being together.

And who cares about having your own pillow when you have your own man?
"A heart is an amazing item. My heart's been bruised, battered, smashed, and stabbed. Yet it still beats in my chest . . .
It can still love. It still hopes and dreams."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Safe in His Arms.

October 30, 2014 – Shelved
November 27, 2014 – Shelved as: age-gap
November 27, 2014 – Finished Reading
January 29, 2015 – Shelved as: best-mm-romance-2014
January 30, 2015 – Shelved as: cover-lust

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)

Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews Cant wait to read this one!

message 2: by Jonnie (new) - added it

Jonnie m/m and HEA. YUM. My favorites! ;) loved this review <3

Trisha Harrington Amazing review, Dani! I seriously can't wait to read this one. I'm so glad you loved it! :D

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Jonnie wrote: "m/m and HEA. YUM. My favorites! ;) loved this review <3"

A HEA is a must for me. And thank you! This one's awesome. Kaye's one of my favorite MM authors.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ MareTara SLiTsReaD Reviews~Lover of all things MM~Sarcasm Junkie n Kissing SLut~ wrote: "Cant wait to read this one!"

This book dealers with darker themes than Kaye's other books, but it still retains the trademark sweetness.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Trisha wrote: "Amazing review, Dani! I seriously can't wait to read this one. I'm so glad you loved it! :D"

I did! Even though there is mention of past abuse, it actually doesn't overtake the story and is deal with sensitively and appropriately.

message 7: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev Great review Dani. Gave Renae her own shelf after 2 stories, I love her stuff!!

message 8: by ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ (last edited Nov 27, 2014 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Bev wrote: "Great review Dani. Gave Renae her own shelf after 2 stories, I love her stuff!! "

ME TOO! She's been amazingly prolific considering her first book was published this year, but her books don't feel rushed for publishing.

message 9: by Jewel (last edited Nov 27, 2014 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jewel Beautiful review. Can't wait to read this!

Elsbeth Great review...

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time Awesome review friend.....excited for this one!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie* wrote: "Awesome review friend.....excited for this one!"

Elsbeth wrote: "Great review..."

Jewel wrote: "Beautiful review. Can't wait to read this!"

*blushes* Awww, you guys....

Thank you. I hope you all love it as well.

message 13: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Love your pics for Lon and Casey! This is a "drop everything" book for me when I get my hands on it tomorrow! Can't wait!!!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Amy ♥ wrote: "Love your pics for Lon and Casey! This is a "drop everything" book for me when I get my hands on it tomorrow! Can't wait!!!"

For me too, Amy. I spent a while searching for those pics. Can't think of anything better to do on Thanksgiving morning than look for sexy man gifs. ;)

message 15: by Sheziss (new) - added it

Sheziss Love the guys <3 .

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Dani! :))

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Sheziss wrote: "Love the guys <3 ."

Hotness, right?

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Cathy~❤️ wrote: "Great review, Dani! :))"

Thanks, hon.

Isabel Fabulous review Dani!

message 20: by Sheziss (new) - added it

Sheziss Yeah! :D

message 21: by Ami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ami Awesome review (as always!) ... and I look forward for this one.

message 22: by Arzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arzu Great review! :)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Arzu wrote: "Great review! :)"

Isabel wrote: "Fabulous review Dani!"

Xo! Grazie!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Ami wrote: "Awesome review (as always!) ... and I look forward for this one."

I hope it works for you, Ami.

message 25: by Xing (new)

Xing Great review. This book looks delicious!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Xing wrote: "Great review. This book looks delicious!"

Well, the guys were certainly delicious.

Keveen Big fan of the Shearing Gun so looking forward to this and something different from her at the same time.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Keveen wrote: "Big fan of the Shearing Gun so looking forward to this and something different from her at the same time."

Keevan, The Shearing Gun is one of my very favorites. I think you'll love this one too.

message 29: by Natasha (new) - added it

Natasha HMMMMM.

Wasn't a fan of her one other book I read, but I think your review has convinced me.

(That picture of the blond also might've had something to do with it)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Natasha wrote: "HMMMMM.

(That picture of the blond also might've had something to do with it)"

I take all the credit for the blonde. He's yummy, right? I love Kaye's books, but they are I the sweet size. This might be a good one to try, since it's a bit meatier.

Keveen ~~D✡ni ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~~ wrote: "Natasha wrote: "HMMMMM.

(That picture of the blond also might've had something to do with it)"

I take all the..."

Is the blonde Mitch Hewer? Haha

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Keveen wrote: "~~D✡ni ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~~ wrote: "Natasha wrote: "HMMMMM.

(That picture of the blond also might've had ..."

Ya know, I have no idea. I just found him and had to have him. Is he your type? ;)

Keveen ~~D✡ni ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~~ wrote: "Keveen wrote: "~~D✡ni ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~~ wrote: "Natasha wrote: "HMMMMM.

(That picture of the blond als..."

Blondes have a certain appeal to me so yes ;) Now I gotta read all the books so I can read this! Blondes are hottttt

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ K, you crack me up. I pefer dark guys, but to each his own ;) And this is a standalone.

Keveen ~~D✡ni ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~~ wrote: "K, you crack me up. I pefer dark guys, but to each his own ;) And this is a standalone."

I like tanned guys too! ;) Aw, not a series then?

message 36: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul It's my next BOOK, I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!

message 37: by Aneta (new)

Aneta Wow your review is like - wow. I must read this book:)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Paul wrote: "It's my next BOOK, I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!"

*fist pump* I'll be looking for your review.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Aneta wrote: "Wow your review is like - wow. I must read this book:)"

I hope you love it!

message 40: by Gigi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gigi FUCK YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!

message 41: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Ok I've added it to my must buy list. Your reviews are awesome but they do such damage to my credit card. I'm such a hard sell when it comes to buying books...NOT!!!

message 42: by Connie (new) - added it

Connie Cat Wow. What a great review! The photos sold me, by the way...

message 43: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul ~~D✡ni ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~~ wrote: "Paul wrote: "It's my next BOOK, I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!"

*fist pump* I'll be looking for your review."

woo hoo, I'm loving it already. When I went to Perth it was Nov and so fucking hot I was waiting for this so called "Fremantle Doctor" to come gushing in all afternoon to rescue me but no, during some heatwaves, it doesn't arrive at ALL. Some of the most pristine beaches I've ever seen were closed because of shark attacks and it was a $5,000 fine if you were caught swimming.

Adrianamae Oh, I want to read it after this review -is there BDSM in this story?

message 45: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul @Adrianamae, Marco's fan, no, none at all
@Dani, I'm FINISHED!!!!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Adrianamae, Marco's fan wrote: "Oh, I want to read it after this review -is there BDSM in this story?"

Nope, none.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Paul wrote: "@Adrianamae, Marco's fan, no, none at all
@Dani, I'm FINISHED!!!!"

Four stars?

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Paul wrote: "~~D✡ni ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~~ wrote: "Paul wrote: "It's my next BOOK, I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!"

*fist pump* I'll be looking for your review."

woo hoo, I'm loving it already. When I went to Pert..."

I loved that name, btw. Giggled every time I read it.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Gigi wrote: "FUCK YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!"

My thoughts exactly!

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ Karen wrote: "Ok I've added it to my must buy list. Your reviews are awesome but they do such damage to my credit card. I'm such a hard sell when it comes to buying books...NOT!!!"

Lol. Sorry?