Mehsi's Reviews > Lair of Dreams

Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray

6720768
Another great book in the Diviners series! 4.5 stars.

It took me quite some time to really get into this book, but when I did? I flew right through it. Why did it take me so long to get into it? And, I have to confess, I even wanted to drop it. Well, that has to do with the same problem I had with the previous book. Too many POV. At times even switching mid-chapter/with the next sentence. We even have some new characters in this one, and boy, was I confused and I just couldn't like them. But then later I got more and more used to it (though I never did truly like it). My favourite girl (Evie) barely got time, and she also seemed more a party girl than she did before. It was quite amazing. She was already a big lover of parties, but it seemed the fame had gone to her head (though later we do find out why she parties like this, and while I can understand why, I still don't think this is the best way).

I was also frustrated with the love triangle between Evie, Sam, Jericho. Come on, just decide already. It got quite annoying and I was just shaking my head. Jericho is such a knucklehead, and Sam, while he is nice, he also has some stuff I didn't like.

I hated Blind Bill. Bah, I already was disgusted by what he did in the previous book, but I can tell you this, his parts made me want to just burn the book. Sadly I am guessing he will be getting bigger parts as the books continue, and I am bothered by that. :|

Instead of one mass-murderer on the loose, we now have a sleeping disease which causes people to stay stuck in their dreams and dream forever. I must say it was done really effectively, though I kept wondering why it took our characters so long to finally get the hint and understand what was wrong. I mean, as soon as I saw that girl in the dreams? I knew what was up.
I liked the chapters that talked about the victims, it was interesting to see what happened to them and how the disease worked.

The whole Lois/Louis business? I knew for the get-go what happened and why he was finally able to meet him like that. I was like DUH! why don't you know this? Why did it take AGES for both dreamwalkers to finally get the hint? *sighs*

We also find out quite a bit about Sam's past, how Will is involved in it all, and several other things, it really made the book great.

Mm, what more, I think I got all of it. I really liked the book, and I will be eagerly waiting for the next one.

Review first posted at http://twirlingbookprincess.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lair of Dreams.

Quotes Mehsi Liked

Libba Bray
“For dreams, too, are ghosts, desires chased in sleep, gone by morning. The longing of dreams draws the dead, and this city holds many dreams.”
Libba Bray, Lair of Dreams

November 13, 2015 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
November 13, 2015 – Shelved as: for-girls-one-shelf
January 5, 2016 – Started Reading
page 0
0.0% "I first want to finish I Shall Wear Midnight + a manga. Maybe in the end I will just read this one instead. Depends on my mood. :D"
page 61
9.95% "Slowly I will get through this one. I will also be reading other books. :)"
page 61
9.95% "Frankly it is also because of the constantly switching of POV. One moment it is Evie 2 chapters, then a bit of Lin, then Henry, then Theta, then Jericho, and so on. It is just mighty confusing and I just can't connect with most of the characters. :("
page 61
9.95% "The previous book also had a lot of POV, and they also switched willy-nilly, but for some reason I just get annoyed with it in this book. :( Too many characters to keep track of/or care about.\n And the one character I really care about, Evie, barely gets any time. :{"
page 130