Lady Vigilante (Feifei)'s Reviews > Illusion

Illusion by J.S. Cooper

1 star!

description

I’m not familiar with this author’s work so I had no idea what to expect but judging from the blurb I had hoped it would be good. While the premise itself is an intriguing one, the execution fell below ground zero for me and for most of the book I was so frustrated I made mad cow sounds because of the idiotic heroine and the plot that seemed to run in circles. As for the ending, I can’t say I didn’t see it coming, but it finally made the book much more interesting. The only positive thing I have to say is that the suspense and desire to know the mastermind behind the hero & heroine’s kidnapping is what made this story a page-turner; all the other parts I had to force myself to finish.

description

The heroine Bianca is convinced her mother’s death wasn’t just an accident and armed with papers her late father left her, seeks out answers that lead her all the way to the elusive owner of one of the most powerful business corporations in the country. But before she can confront him, she gets kidnapped and taken to a remote island with another guy, the hero Jakob. Not knowing who he is, where they are, and why they’re there, Bianca reluctantly teams up with Jakob to get off the island and find the mastermind behind their kidnapping, all the while being ridiculously attracted to him.

Like I said before, this book was a real page turner because the suspense was solid. Other than that, however, everything else fell flat…starting with the awful heroine and her best friend. Literally every other page I could pick on something they did or say that drove me bonkers, whether it was Bianca’s terrible survival skills, her completely unnecessary spouting of random & useless movie facts, or both of their stupid commentary.

(view spoiler)

Now for the hero. I think he could almost be the saving grace of this book, except he has terrible taste in women. And by women I mean Bianca.

description

As for the plot, it was pretty obvious what Jakob’s role was in the whole kidnapping scheme. If the blatant clues dropped in the story don’t give it away, then the blurb for this book does (see his last name).

I will rarely rate books 1 star even if it was terrible to the point I wanted to DNF multiple times but my rationale is if the writing was solid I can give 2 stars. Sadly, not even the writing in this book is worth giving it a shot. The quotes I pulled for my graphics are the best of the crop and even that is a little amateur. I’m a reader who fully utilizes the highlight function on my iPad and normally I’d be highlighting quotes – funny, breathtaking, beautiful quotes – from left to right but in this book, I had more quotes that annoyed the crap out of me than ones that stirred any positive emotion. Maybe for longtime fans of this author, this book will be a smashing hit but for likeminded readers, perhaps it is best to skip this one, or at least until the second one releases since this first one ends on a massive cliffhanger.

Illusion is book 1 in the Swept Away series and not a standalone. There is giant cliffy at the end and the story will continue on in book 2 Disillusioned.

ARC provided by Gallery Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illusion.

October 30, 2014 – Shelved
October 30, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
November 6, 2014 – Started Reading
November 6, 2014 – Shelved as: arc
November 6, 2014 – Shelved as: i-trust-my-friends
November 6, 2014 – Shelved as: netgalley-edelweiss
November 6, 2014 – Shelved as: read-to-review
November 6, 2014 –
35.0% "The plot and suspense is really good but the heroine's stupidity is driving me a little batty :/"
November 6, 2014 – Shelved as: alpha-heroes
November 6, 2014 – Shelved as: die-from-cliffhanger
November 6, 2014 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
November 6, 2014 – Shelved as: what-are-you-trying-to-say
November 7, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)

Dirty Dayna WELL DARN! I spose we cant all enjoy the same thing .

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Exactly. Happy that you loved it though! Just not my thing.

Dirty Dayna I think I liked it more so that NONE of the clues were figured out and nothing was solved. So I feel like it really set up book 2. Book 1 I liked just because it was filled with all these unsolved clues.

Dirty Dayna shes fucking annoying tho

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time Great, honest review friend!!

message 6: by Nandar (new)

Nandar LMAO, I totally understand when the feeling of not enjoying a book despite a good plot line because of the MC.

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) I think I liked it more so that NONE of the clues were figured out and nothing was solved.

To me that just means I wasted a day of my time on a book that gave me nothing. Started with nothing and ended with nothing. (view spoiler)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie* wrote: "Great, honest review friend!!"

Thanks J! :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Nandar wrote: "LMAO, I totally understand when the feeling of not enjoying a book despite a good plot line because of the MC."

Yeah, many books have been ruined for me because of that. Thank you! xx

message 10: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Sorry this one sucked for you. But great review :)

Rachel Reads Ravenously Haha hilarious review Feifei! I would need a drink too if I had read that line :P
♥♥♥

Arabella ~♡AB♡~ Oh shame, what a waste :(

message 13: by crashqueen73 (new)

crashqueen73 Well I won't be adding this one to be TBR list :) And are you going to be reading book 2????

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great honest review, Feifei!Sorry it was a bust!:( <33

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Mallory wrote: "Sorry this one sucked for you. But great review :)"

Thanks Mallory! Moving on :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥ wrote: "Haha hilarious review Feifei! I would need a drink too if I had read that line :P
♥♥♥"

That's only a few...there were so many where they were in dangerous situations and she started quoting from movies as if they'd help get her out of the situation. Idiot!!! Thanks Rachel :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Arabella ~♡AB♡~ wrote: "Oh shame, what a waste :("

Yup :(

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Pauline wrote: "Well I won't be adding this one to be TBR list :) And are you going to be reading book 2????"

No! Not even the writing was good for me.

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Arianna wrote: "Great honest review, Feifei!Sorry it was a bust!:( <33"

Thanks Arianna! :)

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ great review Feifei. sorry it didnt work for u.

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ wrote: "great review Feifei. sorry it didnt work for u."

Happens! Looking for my next read :)

Dirty Dayna eeek I swear I am going to rec you an amazing book... let me scour :P

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

LMAO, too funny! I rolled my eyes a lot too and when I finished this, I thought there would be NO WAY you would like it, but I didn't want to push my thoughts on you! I think I allowed the mystery of the story to overtake the heroine's stupidity. I hope your next pick works for you :))

Dirty Dayna Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "I think I liked it more so that NONE of the clues were figured out and nothing was solved.

I seriously suck at reading blurbs.. yeah she shouldn't of done that.. since I didn't read it I was a little like woaa

message 25: by Lola (new)

Lola ''If she really is his match in everything, then good luck and good fortune to them both.''

haha, I like sarcastic Feifei ^^ Great review, dear!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Dirty Dayna wrote: "eeek I swear I am going to rec you an amazing book... let me scour :P"

Haha really not a problem! :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) ~♥~Cathy~♥~ wrote: "LMAO, too funny! I rolled my eyes a lot too and when I finished this, I thought there would be NO WAY you would like it, but I didn't want to push my thoughts on you! I think I allowed the myster..."

Thanks Cathy!! Though I didn't like it, I'm still glad I tried it out for myself :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Lola wrote: "''If she really is his match in everything, then good luck and good fortune to them both.''

haha, I like sarcastic Feifei ^^ Great review, dear!"

LOL thanks Lola! ;) ♥

Eda** # Dax Lahn's Golden Tigress  # Well, damn Fei, sorry it didn't work out for you. Awesome honest review though! <333

Beverly Oh lord, I have this to read...eek. Great honest review!!

message 31: by Saffron (new)

Saffron So sorry Fei! However, the story does sound intriguing plus hero's name sounds so awesome for some reason..LOL!! I am going to stay away though, don't want no stupid heroines. Superb review friend <333

message 32: by Yomi M. (new)

Yomi M. Great review Feifei, sorry this didn't work out for you :/

message 33: by Kirsten (last edited Nov 07, 2014 04:52PM) (new)

Kirsten Sorry this was a bust Feifei! The premise does sound pretty good though. Boo! Ha, I'm curious about all the movie facts...LOL Major eye rolls for your spoiler. Wow! Way to make it through that mess babe! Hope your next is badass! xo Wonderful review!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Lisa wrote: "Fantastic honest review, Feifei!"

Thanks Lisa! <3

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Eda** # Cole Maddon's Jewel # wrote: "Well, damn Fei, sorry it didn't work out for you. Awesome honest review though! <333"

Thanks Eda! :) xx

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Beverly wrote: "Oh lord, I have this to read...eek. Great honest review!!"

Hope you like it more than me Bev! Thanks <3

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Supreet *The Cupcake Queen* wrote: "So sorry Fei! However, the story does sound intriguing plus hero's name sounds so awesome for some reason..LOL!! I am going to stay away though, don't want no stupid heroines. Superb review friend ..."

Haha thanks friend! I honestly can't see you liking this one. The writing alone would drive you up the wall :/

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Yomi Milanesa wrote: "Great review Feifei, sorry this didn't work out for you :/"

It happens. Moving on, thanks Yomi! :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Kirsten wrote: "Sorry this was a bust Feifei! The premise does sound pretty good though. Boo! Ha, I'm curious about all the movie facts...LOL Major eye rolls for your spoiler. Wow! Way to make it through that mess..."

So basically they'd be in dangerous situations (like being tied together and trying to get out of the ropes and the heroine quotes a movie where the movie characters are in a similar position. Or they're getting chased and she's like, hey, this is just like in that movie _____) <-- I just can't! LOL!

Thanks friend! :D

message 40: by Gena (new)

Gena Puro Yikes! Great honest review Fei! :)

message 41: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Sorry this was a bust Feifei! The premise does sound pretty good though. Boo! Ha, I'm curious about all the movie facts...LOL Major eye rolls for your spoiler. Wow! Way to make it t..."

Bahahaha! Ok, as corny as it sounds it would be..you kind of make it sound hilarious! Not that it was, but the fact that it was so annoying makes me laugh. Again...way to make it through! :)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Gena wrote: "Yikes! Great honest review Fei! :)"

Yikes indeed. Thanks Gena! xx

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Kirsten wrote: "Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Sorry this was a bust Feifei! The premise does sound pretty good though. Boo! Ha, I'm curious about all the movie facts...LOL Major eye rolls for you..."

LOL it really was funny but in a bad way. A few movie references is fine with me but this was an overload :(

message 44: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kyle So sorry Feifei great honest review my friend! xx

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Jennifer wrote: "So sorry Feifei great honest review my friend! xx"

Thanks Jennifer!! My streak of awesome books was bound to end soon lol xoxo

Sandy ღCoffee Addict Booksღ Amazing honest review Fei!x

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Sorry it was a bust Feifei! Your review explained it well. = /

message 48: by Amy | Foxy Blogs (new)

Amy | Foxy Blogs Well said, Feifei!! Sorry this one didn't work but your review is 5 stars!

message 49: by LuvLaw (new)

LuvLaw Lolz Feifei!!! 1*? :D Hope your next one is 5*+ *wink*

Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘ Homg, those quotes tho. D: They're so spectacularly bad! Great honest review, Feifei! ♥ Sorry this one didn't work for you! Hope your next read will be amazing!

« previous 1