Linda's Reviews > The Billionaire Next Door

The Billionaire Next Door by Jessica Bird

Jun 29, 2010

bookshelves: alpha-male, hero-heroine-troubled-childhoods, contemporary-romance, trust-issues, why-i-love-romances
Recommended for: a wonderful romance, contemporary romance

When I read THE BILLIONAIRE NEXT DOOR I was charmed by how good it was. Jessica Bird, aka J.R. Ward, gives warmth to her characters. I started this late one evening and finished by early the next day. And yes, I did get some sleep. It has a troubled alpha male and a heroine who is thoughtful of others and cherishes Sean for who he is without all the glamor.

Sean O'Banyon is the go-to guy, a wonder among Wall Street, the man with the answers. He is about to complete a big deal when he gets a phone call informing him that his father has just died. Immediately all his boyhood insecurities resurface.

Lizzie Bond is a young nurse who is employed in South Boston. She lives in a duplex owned by one Eddie O'Banyon who she has befriended. Caring for others is part of her nature and she had developed a relationship with him so it is a wonder why he never mentioned he had some sons. It also makes her wonder why none of them ever visited Eddie while he was alive. when they meet, Lizzie and Sean are attracted to each other, but his past left him bitterly scarred and he has great difficulty trusting anyone.

Sean and his boyhood is the core of the story. Lizzie tries to fill in the gaps because Sean is tight-lipped about his childhood. At the same time she is unaware that she is chipping at the wall that Sean has slowly built around himself. Trust is a big issue and, although he is very successful, he still is insecure in some ways and has his doubts. Sean develops feelings toward Lizzie and they both alarm and comfort him. Besides trying to figure out what Sean has gone through she is unaware that he is a powerhouse on Wall Street. She is unfamiliar with his notoriety and influence.

Of course there is the 'Big Misunderstanding' but the story needed it to flesh out some issues. Lizzie also has problems from her childhood and Ms. Bird did a wonderful job of showing the reader how a person's past can take you into different directions when you reach adulthood. I borrowed this book from the library but now I want it for my keeper shelf. If you want to read a great contemporary romance about healing relationships try THE BILLIONAIRE NEXT DOOR. You will glad you did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Billionaire Next Door.

June 1, 2010 – Started Reading