Stefanie Sugia's Reviews > The Last Lecture

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

bookshelves: book-challenge-2010, eng-non-fiction, i-own-a-copy, family, death, inspirational, psychology, novel

**short review: i should say that the lessons learned in this book is not really something new; it's something i've known before, but i get the feeling of being reminded again by this lecture. The thing that impressed me from this book is not the content, but the purpose why the Last Lecture was delivered in the first place. the last ending sentence of this book touched me that i almost cried.

the big idea of the Last Lecture is about Randy's childhood dreams; how he achieved some of them and some he did not. some moral lessons are also taught throughout the lecture.

i enjoyed reading this book very much and it leaves a great impression. after reading the book, i got a chance to watch the video of the real lecture; and it was just as good. :):)

good read ! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Lecture.

Quotes Stefanie Sugia Liked

Randy Pausch
“Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”

Randy Pausch
“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.”

Randy Pausch
“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.”

Randy Pausch
“The key question to keep asking is, Are you spending your time on the right things? Because time is all you have. ”

Randy Pausch
“Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other.”

Randy Pausch
“Time is all you have and you may find one day that you have less than you think.”

Randy Pausch
“Look, I'm going to find a way to be happy, and I'd really love to be happy with you, but if I can't be happy with you, then I'll find a way to be happy without you.”

Randy Pausch
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. ”

Randy Pausch
“A lot of people want a shortcut. I find the best shortcut is the long way, which is basically two words: work hard.”

Randy Pausch
“Too many people go through life complaining about their problems. I've always believed that if you took one tenth the enrgy you put into complaining and applied it to solving the problem, you'd be surprised by how well things can work out.”

Randy Pausch
“A good apology is like antibiotic, a bad apology is like rubbing salt in the wound.”

Randy Pausch
“Complaining does not work as a strategy. We all have finite time and energy. Any time we spend whining is unlikely to help us achieve our goals. And it won't make us happier.”

Randy Pausch
“The person who failed often knows how to avoid future failures. The person who knows only success can be more oblivious to all the pitfalls.”

June 29, 2010 – Shelved
page 1
0.49% ":):)"
November 5, 2010 –
page 94
45.63% "very very inspiring.. love it from the start :)"
November 6, 2010 –
page 156
75.73% "Lots of lessons learned :):)"
November 6, 2010 –
page 206
100.0% "an awesome book! inspiring and character building ;)"
November 6, 2010 – Finished Reading