Judy D Collins's Reviews > Waiting on God: Strength for Today and Hope for Tomorrow

Waiting on God by Charles F. Stanley

A special thank you to Howard Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Pastor and bestselling author, Dr. Charles F. Stanley delivers a powerful book of faith, hope, and perseverance, with Waiting on God: Strength for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.

As a former pastor of mine at First Baptist Church – Atlanta, GA for years, as well as his outreach ministry—In Touch, Dr. Stanley is highly respected and have always enjoyed his heart felt messages, strong leadership, and numerous Christian books over the years, as well as his strong faith and wise counsel.

In his latest book, WAITING ON GOD, Stanley dives into every believer’s continuous question of why God does not seem to hear prayers. When the “nevers” of life are discouraging, this is the book for you. Dr. Stanley reiterates to anyone facing problems and darkness, that hope, even though it is not always on our terms or time, He is listening with a bigger and better plan in mind.

There is meaning and hope in these times of waiting on Him to respond. He demonstrates through the pages of the book, that the only “never” you should focus on is that God will never let you down (Deut. 31:6,8). Our heavenly Father is working in the unseen on our behalf and we are not just waiting around for nothing.

No one likes delays. We lack control over our circumstances. None of us are alone, as we all face a common faith-building challenge of Christian life, and trusted pastor Dr. Stanley offers us guidance to endure victoriously. God has his own very specific schedule—vastly different than what we expect.

He reminds us through His message and scriptures, God has a purpose and plan and sometimes we need to wait and be patient in order to fulfill His ultimate plan. We need to learn to be directed by God's timing and wisdom not our own, as an important lesson to be learned as believers.

The message, The Lord has very special plans for us and the way He most often prepares us for them is through times of directed, purposeful, active, and courageous waiting. Of course, herein lies the most difficult task of all, to wait expectantly.

Dr. Stanley gives us timeless, biblical teaching and practical wisdom that will help you make the most of the delays and follow the Father’s lead to the blessings you long for. He offers encouragement by drawing on personal experience and biblical principles no matter where you may be on your spiritual journey.

What we can draw from all this is that waiting on the Lord signifies an expectant endurance that is demonstrated by a directed, purposeful, active, and courageous attitude of prayer. Claiming God’s promises by actively expressing faith in the delays, as the example he points out of working in the gym, this time of waiting is an opportunity to develop our spiritual muscles—faith, hope, and perseverance.

Perseverance is key for receiving the very best God has planned for us. Therefore we must endure—no matter what happens or how long it takes—staying on track when the view becomes dark, as we survive the wait with courage.

Turn the joy of waiting and reaping the rewards by humbling yourself before the Lord and focus on Him versus the desire, remain obedient to His will, and have faith that God will do as He promised and be courageous.

•Accept God’s Direction
•Value God’s Timing
•Prepare for His Blessings
•To Strengthen our Faith
•To Sift our Motives and Desires

How do we seek His guidance?
•By Reading God’s word
•Through Prayer
•Through Godly Counsel
•Through Circumstances

WAITING ON GOD is an inspiring book of hope for all ages, offering prayers, scripture, easy to follow steps and guidance, combined with steps and Points for Active Waiting.

Judith D. Collins Must Read Books .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting on God.

October 29, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 29, 2014 –
page 50
December 30, 2014 –
page 150
66.96% "Rev. Charles Stanley, a former pastor of mine--always offers wisdom and inspiration through his writing."
December 30, 2014 – Shelved as: books-read-in-2014
December 30, 2014 – Shelved as: inspirational
December 30, 2014 – Shelved as: non-fiction
December 30, 2014 – Shelved as: charles-stanley
December 31, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Ohhhh, how awesome that you had this wonderful man as your pastor.

Judy D Collins Yes, and had his son for pastor afterwards-Andy Stanley at Buckhead Church/Northpoint (Atlanta, GA). Have been in WPB, FL for years and have a wonderful pastor Jimmy Scroggins at West Palm Beach First Baptist. Have been very fortunate with some wonderful leaders.

message 3: by Carole (new)

Carole Love Charles & Andy Stanley!! I learned so much from listening to Charles each day on the radio while I worked. I credit much of my spiritual growth and learning from him. Would love to see him in person someday:) How blessed you are to have these Godly men pastoring your church!

Judy D Collins I know, had Charles first, then Andy second. Now I have a wonderful pastor at West Palm Beach First Baptist. I really miss my wonderful friends in Atlanta - the church is so passionate and inspirational.