Anissa's Reviews > Death Comes to Pemberley

Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

it was ok
bookshelves: 2014, reimagined-and-alternate-tellings, historical-fiction, cozy-mystery, british-fiction-uk-ireland
Recommended to Anissa by: pbs

I decided to give this a read as I began watching the Masterpiece Mystery dramatisation on PBS. It's not unusual for me to do this, what I've experienced as a first was that upon finishing the book, I'd absolutely no desire to continue with the PBS series. I abandoned the television version because I simply didn't want to be bothered with this story any longer. I am disappointed. Lizzie and Darcy aren't my favorite Austen couple anyway (Anne & Captain Wentworth, for me please) so I'm not so beholden to the original material to be aggravated like this is some travesty against literature. With that said, I was a bit bored and it felt like this had very little life as reads go. I was excited for the mystery but once the reveal was done, there was still a bit to go to tie it all up and I didn't feel all that was warranted. Admittedly, it's a short book but I still think it was over long. I don't know that I'd recommend this as I believe most people do have other things they could be reading than a book that's a little less than okay and more middling than anything else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Comes to Pemberley.

October 29, 2014 – Started Reading