Audrey's Reviews > Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction

Firebirds Soaring by Sharyn November

Jun 28, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: ya

November's anthologies are always a nice mix of speculative fiction -- and I love that you get such a range of stories. These are intended to be for a YA audience, if I'm not mistaken, but a couple of them seemed out of place: Yolen's "Little Red" was VERY dark (so much so that I was surprised it was by Yolen), and "Fear and Loathing..." (obviously a tribute to Hunter S. Thompson) while funny would probably pass right over the heads of most YA readers. Many of the stories featured female protagonists (YAY!); most of the stories were fairly typical in structure, but a few were more experimental in nature ("Fenix"). A couple of them were based on the worlds from other novels written by the authors, so if you hadn't read the novels, you were kind of lost ("Bonechewer's Legacy"). Here are the ones that really stood out for me: "Swinging on a Star" (and the author's note is great too!); "Ferryman"; "Three Twilight Tales" ((gorgeous traditional fantasy); "Power and Magic."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firebirds Soaring.