Iris P's Reviews > Yes Please

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

2641948

bookshelves: humor, memoirs-autobiographies, audio-books, feminist-theme, feel-good-reads
Recommended to Iris P by: Elyse Walters

Yes Please

I admit that it took me by surprise how much I enjoyed Amy Poehler's Yes Please.
Perhaps because she is an performer and an entertainer, audio was the perfect medium to deliver her funny and heartfelt stories.
Part memoir/part self-help book, this one doesn't stand out for its lyrical or beautiful prose, or even for narrating the life of the most extraordinary performer for that matter. Instead, what I liked the most about it, was Poehler's authenticity and her ability not to take herself too seriously. Perhaps that's a necessary trait if somebody wants to be succesful on her line of work.

The always charismatic Amy Poehler photo Amy Poehler_zpsve5xj56e.jpg
The always charming and charismatic Amy Poehler

So in between chapters and while we learned about Poehler's career, the ins and outs of the comedic scene and get to know her wonderful parents - both of whom made cameo appearances on the audiobook and really sound like the most adorable people- she shares some insightful advice.

Here are a few of these nuggets that I found both savvy and full of commonsense.

On remembering your birthday:
"If your parents are still alive, call them today and ask them to describe the day you were born, write the details down and tell the story every day on your birthday until you know it by heart."

On women and apologies:
"It takes years as a woman to unlearn what you have been taught to be sorry for, it takes years to find your voice and seize your real estate."

On divorce:
“Imagine spreading everything you care about on a blanket and then tossing the whole thing up in the air. The process of divorce is about loading up that blanket, throwing it up, watching it all spin, and worrying what stuff will break when it lands."

On Sex (to women) :
"Try not to fake it: I know you are tired/nervous/eager to please/unsure of how to get there. Just remember to allow yourself real pleasure and not worry about how long it takes…God punished us with the gift of being able to fake it. Show God who the real boss is by getting off and getting yours."

On combating body image issues:
"When the demon starts to slither my way and say bad shit about me I turn around and say, 'Hey. Cool it. Amy is my friend. Don't talk about her like that.' Sticking up for ourselves in the same way we would one of our friends is a hard but satisfying thing to do. Sometimes it works."

Amy drops many celebrity names on this memoir and gives lots of credit to many of them for helping her both professionally and personally. But on the last chapter the last person she thanks is Sharita Fields, the TSA agent who recovered her lost laptop at LAX, thereby saving a good portion of the book. I think that speaks volumes about Poehler's upbringing and her sense of decency.

With the exception of Amy's parents, I thought the rest of the people she invited to assist in the narration didn't add anything particularly special to the audiobook.
Thanks to my friend Elyse for recommending this.
Overall this was a charming and a highly enjoyable memoir.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes Please.

October 29, 2014 – Shelved
November 11, 2015 –
November 11, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 15, 2015 – Shelved as: feminist-theme
November 15, 2015 – Shelved as: feel-good-reads

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)

Esil Great review Iris. I'm not quite done but having a very similar reaction

message 2: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Great review Iris. Didn't think I wanted to read this until now. Thanks!

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I wasn't going to consider this one Iris.. But now you have me thinking. Good one!

Elyse Walters Loved your review Iris! Every one of those highlights I remember well. I can't agree more with the things you had to say!!!

Wonderful .., Thanks for pulling out those powerful messages!

Xoxo.

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Iris :)

Charlie Close Thanks, Iris. I'm sure I'll read Amy's book now.

Iris P Esil wrote: "Great review Iris. I'm not quite done but having a very similar reaction"

Thank you Esil, we've already exchanged some thoughts on the book, so I am not surprised that we have a similar take on it..

Iris P Carol wrote: "Great review Iris. Didn't think I wanted to read this until now. Thanks!"

Hope you like it Carol, as memoirs go, this falls on on the "lighter" category but it's a pretty decent read (or listen)...

Iris P Suzanne wrote: "I wasn't going to consider this one Iris.. But now you have me thinking. Good one!"

I think some of her advice is particularly important for young women but I took a look from it too.
I'll look forward to your thoughts if you decide to read it Suzanne :)

Iris P Elyse wrote: "Loved your review Iris! Every one of those highlights I remember well. I can't agree more with the things you had to say!!!

Wonderful .., Thanks for pulling out those powerful messages!

Xoxo."

Thank you dear friend!

Iris P Deanna wrote: "Great review, Iris :)"

Deanna wrote: "Great review, Iris :)"

Thank you Deanna!

Iris P Charlie wrote: "Thanks, Iris. I'm sure I'll read Amy's book now."

Hi Charlie, thanks for taking the time to read my review. Would you love to hear your perspective once you read it!

message 13: by Cathrine ☯️ (last edited Nov 16, 2015 08:38AM) (new)

Cathrine ☯️ Best review I've read. Between you and Elyse, I just may reconsider this one. Will definitely go for the audio.

Iris P ☯Cathrine wrote: "Best review I've read. Between you and Elyse, I just may reconsider this one. Will definitely go for the audio."

Thanks very much Cathrine, is not a life-altering kind of memoir but heartwarming and enjoyable...

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol Liked your review Iris.

Iris P Carol wrote: "Liked your review Iris."

Hi Carol and thank you!

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol I loved the quotes from her memoir! Some of them hit close to the bone. :) Enjoyable review, Iris.

message 18: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Fineisen Wonderful review! I so want to hang out with Amy and Tina but maybe you all will be my friends instead!

message 19: by kirstin (new)

kirstin i want to hang around with you and be friends

Iris P Carol wrote: "I loved the quotes from her memoir! Some of them hit close to the bone. :) Enjoyable review, Iris."

Thanks Carol, even though Amy is a "celebrity", she doesn't seem to live in a bubble. I also love that she's the ultimate pragmatist...

Iris P Heather wrote: "Wonderful review! I so want to hang out with Amy and Tina but maybe you all will be my friends instead!"

Hi Heather, thank you for the friend invitation and for your kind comment.
Hanging with Amy and Tina would indeed be very cool! I might decide to read Tina's own memoir...

Iris P kirstin wrote: "i want to hang around with you and be friends"

Well thank you Kirstin, that's very kind of you!

message 23: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Terrific review, Iris, as always! I love funny memoirs (Bossypants, My Mother Was Nuts, I Feel Bad about My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman and several others) and can't believe I haven't had time to read even one this year. I MUST move this one up!

Btw, miss you! I've been writing a story (all through texts) with my daughter, so I've been on goodreads less. Man have I been missing it, though the story is way fun!

Iris P Debbie wrote: "Terrific review, Iris, as always! I love funny memoirs (Bossypants, My Mother Was Nuts, I Feel Bad about My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman and ..."

Hi Debbie, and thank you for your lovely comments.
I mentioned before that although I don't usually read lots of celebrity memoirs, lately I've noticed an interesting collection that includes Poehler's Yes Please and Tina Fey's Bossypants among many others.

I've missed your reviews and input as well but I am glad to hear you are involved in such an interesting project with your daughter, sounds absolutely fantastic... :)

In case we don't talk again, hope you and you family enjoy a must wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

message 25: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson Great review Iris! :)

Charlie Close Read it and enjoyed it. Thanks, Iris.

Charlie Close BTW, I've continued on to Bossypants (fun so far) and expect to read Felecia Day's new book after that.

Iris P Jennifer wrote: "Great review Iris! :)"

I am two months late, but thank you Jennifer!

Iris P Charlie wrote: "Read it and enjoyed it. Thanks, Iris."

Fantastic Charlie, glad you enjoyed it :)

message 30: by Debbie "DJ" (new)

Debbie "DJ" Loved the "nuggets" Iris. Great review!

Iris P Debbie "DJ" wrote: "Loved the "nuggets" Iris. Great review!"

Thanks DJ, mostly on the lighter side but still an insightful read :)

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine I love this review, Iris. I am not a big memoir reader or audio user, but I am going to see if my library has the audio for this,

Iris P Christine wrote: "I love this review, Iris. I am not a big memoir reader or audio user, but I am going to see if my library has the audio for this,"

Thank you Ms. Christine!
Like you as I didn't read lots of memoirs but for some reason I find myself reading more and more of them these days...

I didn't find Poehler's particularly unique but it was still a very enjoyable and light read. Hope you like it!

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine I'm sure I will, Iris. I like her!

message 35: by Carol (new)

Carol It's good to hear you were surprised. I have been hesitant to read this even with all the glowing reviews. Now that you have suggested audio that may be the way to go for me. Thanks Iris.

Iris P Carol wrote: "It's good to hear you were surprised. I have been hesitant to read this even with all the glowing reviews. Now that you have suggested audio that may be the way to go for me. Thanks Iris."

Hi Carol, this is one of those books that perhaps, at least in my case was the beneficiary of low expectations.
Still from my perspective, there's not too much to lose with Amy Poehler, she's charming and humble...