Bruce Gargoyle's Reviews > Chimera Book One

Chimera Book One by Phil Gomm

I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Kyp arrives in a world of lost things after his not-parents get rid of him. Meeting a strange assortment of creatures along the way, Kyp must protect his Elsewhere Light and overcome treachery to find his way back to the real world.

This was a fun romp through a unique world that just begs for illustration (or a graphic novel version). I found this story to be an appealing combination of Labyrinth and Attica (by Garry Kilworth), featuring more lost-things and new creatures, both benign and menacing, that you could shake an abandoned walking-stick at. This is going to appeal most to people who enjoy discovering worlds that are new and a little bit menacing, with whole cities' worth of oddness to explore.

The reason I'd love to see an illustrated version of this book is that Gomm spends an awful lot of time on description, outlining the visual aspects of the worlds that Kyp encounters and the various oddbods that help or hinder his pasage. While the description is done well and conjures up the world beautifully, I would have loved to see the odd illustration here or there to really bring it to life.

There are a wide variety of characters that Kyp meets in his travels, including Atticus, a snake made out of socks; Sir Regulus, a discarded suit of armour (sans arm), and Bertram, a thrill-seeking piggy bank. The villians - Madame Chartreuse and her sidekicks the Beserker and the Tealeaf seem to have spies in every nook and cranny and Kyp can never be certain that he has escaped her clutches. The inclusion of another "lost boy" partway through Kyp's travels really upped the pace of the story and allowed a bit more opportunity for Kyp to find out more about the world.

The character development was a little lacking in this instalment, which I think is related to the vast amounts of description that was required to flesh out the world but it wasn't too damaging to the overall experience and I expect that we will learn more about Kyp's intriguing back story (of which only tantalising snippets were dropped) in the next book.

This was a promising and engaging beginning to the series and I will certainly be looking out for the next books to continue Kyp's adventure.

Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chimera Book One.

October 28, 2014 – Shelved