Charles's Reviews > Apathy and Other Small Victories

Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan

Jun 28, 2010

Recommended for: me
Read in June, 2010

I started reading this book when a 16 year-old student gave it to me. I didn’t get past page 2 until summer, though I liked it a lot. Once summer hit, I read 50 pages in one sitting and laughed convulsively the whole way through. After another 50, I decided to set it aside for my trip to the beach next week because I wanted something really good to read. It’s the hysterical 1st person narrative of a really messed up apathetic twenty something whose bizarre sense of humor and way of looking at things more closely resembles mine than anyone (real or fictional) I’ve ever known. It’s very offensive to just about everyone, and I do not recommend it unless you really want to howl spasmodically at the insane human experience. Lots of obscure pop culture references from the 80’s onward, and the strong message that it’s okay to laugh at how worthless and counterproductive some of us were or are at a certain age. But be warned, even the author hopes his parents never read it, as he dedicates it to them. I’d be embarrassed if you told anyone I recommended it. Don’t read it, even if it’s the best thing I’ve read in a very long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apathy and Other Small Victories.