Skylar Burris's Reviews > War and Remembrance

War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk

Dec 23, 2007

bookshelves: historical-fiction

As an insightful and moving look at World War II, War and Remembrance is effective. As a novel, however, War and Remembrance suffers from a few minor flaws. The historical perspective of the German von Roon, although helpful for describing the war, tends to interrupt the flow of the fictional story. The ending, likewise, draws us out of the story, unnecessarily making a point of the fact that the characters, who seem so real to us, are fictional. Finally, the novel is made less interesting (as a fictional novel, though not as a historical treatise) by its excessive length.

War and Remembrance was even more depressing than Winds of War, and could temporarily devastate an emotional reader. Of course, one must expect war to be depressing, but for me, War and Remembrance had a negative emotional power that went far beyond the effect of most other books I have read, including many on the holocaust. I think this stems from the fact that the characters' personal lives--and not just the war--are steeped in betrayal and tragedy, so that there is no relief from the constant negativity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War and Remembrance.