C.G. Drews's Reviews > I'll Give You the Sun

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

bookshelves: 4-star, read-2015, young-adult, contemporary

I JUST WANT TO ART NOW. This book has inspired me so much I simply cannot contain the beautifulness of it. It definitely goes down as one of the most BEAUTIFULLY written books ever.

Although I did have a rocky start with it. I'm a pretty much black-and-white thinker...I'm creative (I write!) but sometimes when things get too metaphorical and lyrical and off-the-universe-imaginative...I LOSE IT. So the beginning of the book had me floundering. I found Noah's chapters really hard to grip onto with his way of painting words. But by the end? I was so in love I nearly ran away and married the book.

The book is about art, but it IS art. Seriously the writing is just that beautiful. I'm in awe. WHAT ARE WORDS? WHAT SUMS UP THIS KIND OF INSANE AUTHORLY TALENT?

“I gave up practically the whole world for you,” I tell him, walking through the front door of my own love story. “The sun, stars, ocean, trees, everything, I gave it all up for you.”

The thing with Noah and Jude is...I relate. Not to the extent of how they buried themselves in dream-shredding lies and secrets. But I just related TO them. They were so real. Everyone in this book is just so darn real. It's like being Jude and Noah. I felt like I was them for their chapters and I just...I could barley contain the thrill of experiencing their world. Even the secondary characters pop off the page with the tinest paragraph. Oscar, G., Brian, the crazy parrot, the parents, the dead grandma...woah. It was so so real and beautiful and messy and cruel and heartbreaking. (I also love their names. NOAH! JUDE! Love it!)

My only tiny twitchiness came with one half of the romance which is (view spoiler)

I just want to art, okay? I just need to go away and art after this incredible masterpiece. And I'm already at my library to find The Sky is Everywhere , because I need more of this author in my life. ASAP.

Jude and Noah are my favourite. Eccentric. Rash. Hateful. Real. Wickedly artistic. Wickedly painful. THEY ARE ADORABLE AND I LOVE THIS BROTHER AND SISTER BOOK MORE THAN ANYTHING.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Give You the Sun.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Jandy Nelson
“I didn’t know you could get buried in your own silence.”
Jandy Nelson, I'll Give You the Sun

Maybe some people are just meant to be in the same story.
“Maybe some people are just meant to be in the same story.”

Jandy Nelson
“I love you,” I say to him, only it comes out, “Hey.”
“So damn much,” he says back, only it comes out, “Dude.”
He still won’t meet my eyes.”

Jandy Nelson
“When people fall in love, they burst into flames.”
tags: love

October 28, 2014 – Shelved
October 28, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 2, 2015 – Started Reading
page 117
31.54% "I'm having trouble with this...I think it's because I'm more of a straight-forward black-and-white thinker and this is VERY artistic. It's gorgeous and incredible but...I'm struggling."
page 202
54.45% "This book makes me want to art."
page 302
81.4% "This book is beautiful and it hurts. Stahhhp making bad decisions, everyone."
February 3, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-star
February 3, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
February 3, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 3, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
February 3, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe #BookishTwinsStrikeAgain ;) Glad you liked this as much as I did Cait!

C.G. Drews YAAAY! SAME RATING! WE ARE AWESOME. XD

Danie great review!!! it really sums up how i felt after reading this book huhu

Wendy Your spoiler is pretty much what kept me from five stars. It was what I wanted, but I didn't feel like it was earned, y'know?

C.G. Drews @Wendy: Oh yep, I agree. It's sad. I don't think they should've been together in the end. Noah needed better!

MizzSandie You HAVE to read the sky is everywhere. Like now.

C.G. Drews @MizzSandie: it's been like 2 years since I read this and still haven't read The Sky is Everywhere. Whoops! I still want to!

Andrea Cait, I'm happy you're happy! I thought this was as stunning as well.

Chrystal I wish loved this book, but I struggled with it so much. I didn't even write a review for it yet.

MizzSandie Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@MizzSandie: it's been like 2 years since I read this and still haven't read The Sky is Everywhere. Whoops! I still want to!"

Intentions are good but actions are well... better ! :) go go go read it, I promise you it is as marvelous as I'll give you the sun. Better actually, if you ask me, because I liked that story/theme more, but Jandy Nelsons writing is astoundingly magnificent just the same.

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @MizzSandie: omg her WRITING...it's just magnificent. I actually feel like re-reading I'll Give You The Sun now too haha. ;)

MizzSandie Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@MizzSandie: omg her WRITING...it's just magnificent. I actually feel like re-reading I'll Give You The Sun now too haha. ;)"

Her writing is so madly brilliant. I don't even have the words to express how insanely good it is. But read the sky is everywhere first, and then you have two books to just gorge on and worship instead of just one ;)