Laurie's Reviews > Between

Between by Kerry Schafer

Oct 27, 2014

bookshelves: warriors, tough-chicks, paranormal, funny, favorites, fantasy, horror

Mesmerizing Mixture of Horror, Magic, and Romance

I've always loved paranormal romance, but this book cannot be contained into just one category. Between is a terrific book. Vivian, the main character, but not the least of all the interesting characters throughout this book, resists her bloodline as sorceress and dragon. Her mother, Isobel, is constantly traveling in between worlds to get to her true love, Landon. The evil sorceress, Johanna, was a great villain-lethal and unmerciful. Of course, the highlight for me, was the side-romance of Vivian and Zee. He is introduced as a bookstore owner and artist, but Oh Wow!--How 'more than meets the eye' is revealed, easy going Zee proclaims his right as Warlord. He is scared from head to toe, and absolutely bad-ass and charming. And what woman wouldn't want a flawed and tortured man with a heart of gold to slay a dragon for her! Oh, but Vivian can handle a dragon on her own...and that is all I'll say. One of my favorite side-characters was Poe the penguin-he was so cute, and very protective of Vivian. I loved this book.

For the sake of readers who have a queasy stomach when it comes to gore, I will put this disclaimer: this story does include some graphic gore--but I felt it was weaved in a way that enhanced the story, overall. Also, if you are a survivor of rape, this book may contain 'triggers'--the attempted rape scene in this book, is in a dream, and be assured the man attempting the heinous 'dream act' does not get away with it. Those things being said, I certainly do not discourage anyone from giving this book a chance. The world the author built was amazing, dark, and effective. The characters were always revealing layers of themselves, throughout the story. It was a wonderful fantasy fiction novel, overall.

Laurie Kozlowski

www.bookescapereviews.wordpress.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between.

Started Reading