Kat's Reviews > When Joss Met Matt

When Joss Met Matt by Ellie Cahill

bookshelves: read-in-2015, new-adult

*I received an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When Joss Met Matt was a really, really good New Adult contemporary. It was fun, romantic, and oh, so addicting. I read it in one day without even meaning too. I started reading and . . . couldn't pull myself away for very long. It sucked me in that much.

I LOVE friends with benefits type stories. They just instantly draw me in. This one had a fun twist, and that made the whole thing even better. Looking back, I'm not surprised that this one sucked me in so much. I was hoping it would, after all!

My early reaction to was a bit of disappointment because I had trouble connecting completely to the story. This was a problem I faced with the author's YA books. I enjoyed them, but there was just something missing. With this book, though, I eventually got past that feeling. I'm not sure when that happened--maybe it was when I started crying over the possibility of Joss and Matt NOT ending up together (as there's always a possibility that a book's main couple won't get an HEA ending).

My only other problem--not too big because the story was so addicting--was the repetition. There was a cycle in which Joss and Matt started dating new people, experienced a break up, had sorbet sex, and repeat. Mixed in were Joss's present day perspective (the book runs over a span of about seven years). I sometimes wished for something else.

The sex scenes were tastefully done. They were definitely there, but not very detailed (in NA terms). They seemed to be quite realistic. Not dramatic or forced into sexiness. There was awkwardness in the beginning, and the two characters grew more and more comfortable with each other over time. There were nice sexy scenes, but not of the steamy variety.

I absolutely loved Joss and Matt. They grew so close to each other--I loved how they interacted with one another. There chemistry was great. They were so easy to love, and I rooted them on throughout the entire book!

Overall, When Joss Met Matt was a great read that reminded me just how much I like reading NA books. They're addicting! I could NOT put this one down. I highly recommend reading it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Joss Met Matt.

October 27, 2014 – Shelved
February 18, 2015 – Started Reading
February 18, 2015 –
17.0% "I am liking this, but there is just something holding me back from getting fully into it. I'm not completely connecting, which I remember being an issue I had with this author's YA books. :("
February 18, 2015 –
28.0% "Wow, clingy much?"
February 18, 2015 –
83.0% "This book is making me cry. :'("
February 18, 2015 –
86.0% "There's still quite a bit left in the book. What heck is going to happen? I feel like there's going to be a twist that I hate."
February 18, 2015 – Finished Reading