Bridget's Reviews > Blue Lily, Lily Blue

Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater

bookshelves: 2014, ya, 2016, 2019
Read 2 times. Last read September 10, 2019.

Third reading September 2019. I don't disagree with anything I've written in previous reviews but also I somehow liked it more this time around.

Second reading January 2016. My least favorite book of the series so far, but still a solid four stars. I feel like for the most part, these books have stayed away from annoyingly enigmatic statements made by psychic people that make a frustrating lack of sense, but here, Gwenllian really bothered me. I didn't like her. I didn't like the scenes that included her. And she was full of annoying enigmatic statements. We'll see where this goes in the last book.

But doesn't Stiefvater do black comedy so well? That scene where Greenmantle reminisces about the way he and Piper got engaged - so hilarious. So disturbing.

First reading October 2014. I loved this book for what it did for the main characters. For advancing the overall story? Not so much.

The truth is that I would read Maggie Stiefvater's description of an ant crossing the street, though, so I still enjoyed the time I spent reading. (And you know it would be an unbelievably creepy ant with multiple eyes and pincers and something that goes click-click when it walks. And the road would be all conflicted and rage-y but with a heart of gold.)

These characters are so real and dear (at least the nice ones are dear) to me that I can almost believe they exist outside of the book itself. And I continue to think of this as some bizarro The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks where the boys let Frankie into their club and go hunting for a dead Welsh king.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Lily, Lily Blue.

October 27, 2014 – Shelved