Sarah's Reviews > Lover Unbound

Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward

Jun 27, 2010

bookshelves: books-on-my-shelf, vampires
Read from July 10 to 15, 2010

From the first page of this book I knew it was going to be quite different to the others, as Vishous isn’t of the normal and I was intrigued to get to experience life (the past, present and occasional future) through V's eyes. I love that you get given a bit of his past, that is very extensive and heart breaking back story. I think out of all of the brothers Vishous is the one that I hold up on a pedestal – I mean, I love Zadist but V is just in a league of his own. It is partially due to his relationship with Butch, especially the talks they share, the two of them are just very...endearing.

I think this is important to note, one of the main reasons these books are so great is because of the concept of ‘bonding’ that happens with the males. It reminds me of the whole (dare I say it) Twilight-Jacob thing, with imprinting. It’s a really different concept that works well and the magnitude of how they fall in love and the way they would do anything for their females is really romantic. After reading the first few books in the series you get to understand the concept better. At first I thought it was a little strange that as soon as they meet their female they are in love with them before even a ‘hello, wanna grab some coffee?’… so I thought I would put it out there and let you know that there is a reason behind the lust/love at first sight and it’s not just the corny ‘I must have you now’ kinda deal.

Ok, sooo… I will try not to put any spoilers in here but read this next section at your own risk. To me the ending was really disappointing! This book is fantastic until the last few chapters. Ok, so I know Vishous is up on my pedestal and maybe I did have high hopes for him but seriously, anything is better than that! I mean really, wasn't there ANY OTHER WAY? I’ve just finished reading it (like 5 minutes ago) so my emotions are quite high at this point but I just feel V deserved so much more. Ahhh!! Devastated, seriously devastated! I might just make up my own ending in my head so I don’t have to deal with this one.

4 stars – one star has been taken off because I feel Vishous was robbed of his HEA.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unbound.

Quotes Sarah Liked

J.R. Ward
“You so need to lighten up about that potato-launcher incident," Butch said.
Phury rolled his eyes and eased back in the banquette. "You broke my window."
"Of course we did. V and I were aiming for it."
"Twice."
"Thus proving that he and I are outstanding marksmen.”
J.R. Ward, Lover Unbound