Laura's Reviews > Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker by Allyson James

2043222

Wow. I didn't realize how much I missed Mick and Janet until I jumped back into their world.

In this latest Stormwalker installment, the book opens with Janet and Sheriff Nash Jones falling into a random sink hole out in the middle of the Arizona desert. Except nothing with Janet is ever random.

In that sinkhole (about 200ft down!!!) Janet sees these awful freaky skeletal hands coming her way. Nothing she does can get them to leave her alone, and there are hundreds of them crawling towards her. Mick is able to save her and an unconscious Nash, but not before one of those spider-like skeletal hands grips her leg. The injury is similar to frost-bite, and only Mick is able to heal her.

Mick goes down into that hole to investigate, and comes back a changed man, er, dragon. He is hostile to Janet. The magic mirror screams and screams and screams. Magic Mirror tells Janet that Mickey has been touched by shadows. They are all around him. Janet in fact can see the difference in his aura as well...but only sometimes. Other times he's her normal wonderful Mick. But what worries everyone, is the burning question; What is strong enough to work some serious mojo on Mick?

Meanwhile, Nash is recovering from his fall into that hole, but someone is out to get him too! Can Janet figure out what is controlling Mick, who's trying to kill Nash, why those skeletal hands are after her, and the icing on the cake, why is the hotel inspector showing up with a list of "fix this now" for her? Can Janet catch a break please?

Janet's half-sister Gabrielle is involved in this one, and I can honestly say I'm happy with the way it worked out with her. I wasn't sure what would happen with her, but I should have learned by now not to doubt Ms. James.

The only spoiler I'm willing to part with is that Mick is actually being controlled by a Shadow Walker. And let's just say that any person who can control a dragon as powerful as Mick is a force to be reckoned with. The dragon council finds out, and so so much happens from that point on. Mick is no longer his normal self-he is losing pieces of himself. I loved the scene when he finally broke free, and how Janet helped break the Shadow Walker's spell.

This is a non-stop ride that cranked me to the top only to be dropped in a free-fall and caught again.

Jennifer Ashley/Allyson James' writing is always consistent, her stories wonderful. You will never be disappointed when picking up an Allyson James novel.

Fans of Urban Fantasy will love this series.

Fans of kick-ass heroines will love this series.

Fans of super sexy dragon-men will LOVE this series.

I canNOT stress enough how I don't like Urban Fantasy and yet I love the Stormwalker books. And btw, can I say I love this cover? GORGEOUS!
**ARC provided by Allyson James

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Walker.

June 27, 2010 – Shelved
April 21, 2011 –
page 9
3.19% "Oh, Mick...sigh..."
page 14
4.96% "My page numbers are going to be off since this is an ARC, so bear with me guys"
page 25
8.87% "So far I want Mick to chomp up the building inspector, I am super curious about the skeletal spider-hand-thingies, and totally love Janet and Mick"
page 66
23.4% ""Much later we slept,curled together...but when I awoke to a grey morning and freezing cold, I was alone." I hate that Mick leaves so much without any word."
April 24, 2011 –
page 187
66.31% "I really want to finish this tonight but I'm exhausted. But I'm gonna try! ;) Wish me luck!!"
April 25, 2011 –
page 304
100% "What has Coyote gotten himself into now?"
April 25, 2011 –
page 304
100% "WOW! review to come at demonlover's but just wow. I love this series!"
Started Reading
May 2, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

Laura when would you guys like the review for this one-closer to release date? Or as soon as I finish it?
And do you want lots of updates, or shall I keep mum?

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I would like to know if we see more Mick in this book. I lurve Mick but I didn't think he got enough face time in the last one.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wasn't it soooo good !

message 4: by Laura (last edited May 02, 2011 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura yes!! I have to write the review soon, but I loved it!!

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Ugh. Great review. I cannot wait until I get this book!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I was going to do my review this week, but I have no clue how to review the book without sounding all fangirl obsessed. LOL. Yours, on the other hand, was a great review.

Laura Jen- thanks :) not much longer, right?

Michelle- aww, thanks! It took like an hour just because I kept typing, then deleting, then typing and deleting...it is really hard to not summarize and not give spoilers and still get the main idea across.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "Jen- thanks :) not much longer, right?

Nope, it was perfect. Mine is going to be.....

Mick is mine.

That's all I think, a warning to all other women out there.

Laura that should be your review-in big bold letters: Mick is mine. back off.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "that should be your review-in big bold letters: Mick is mine. back off."

lol...something along those lines will be there. :)

Laura lol, I think I did something like that with Ecstasy in Darkness I called dibs on McKell and that was that! lol

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Mick is mine. Now that is a review I can't argue with. Well except it would be me saying that!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "lol, I think I did something like that with Ecstasy in Darkness I called dibs on McKell and that was that! lol"

I never read the Alien Huntress series, after reading your review, now I want to. You can have whoever McKell is, as long as Mick is mine, oh and Jamie.... Mick, my bad boy, Jamie, my good boy. That's all I need, just two. I'm not greedy or anything.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Jen wrote: "Mick is mine. Now that is a review I can't argue with. Well except it would be me saying that!"

I'll let you borrow him for a short time of course. Can't be too selfish. :)

Laura Michelle you are so generous! Lol

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "Michelle you are so generous! Lol"

LOL..aren't I?

message 17: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I would wager that Mick is man enough for all of us!! :P

Laura Jen wrote: "I would wager that Mick is man enough for all of us!! :P"

Ooh, good thinking!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Jen wrote: "I would wager that Mick is man enough for all of us!! :P"

Laura Michelle wrote: "Jen wrote: "I would wager that Mick is man enough for all of us!! :P"

I love how Janet has a safe word just in case with our boy Mick, talk about wild nights when you might need a safe word."

soo sooo sexy...

Jackie Finished the first two and am starting this one today, need more Janet and Mick!

Laura I still need to read the novella from Hexed-have you read that one?

harlequin {Stephanie} The novella from hexed was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

Laura Oh sure, rub it in! Lol

Jackie Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "I still need to read the novella from Hexed-have you read that one?"

Now feel "empty" since finished book 3 yesterday, it was hard to choose what to read next after spending 4 days in this characters world!

harlequin {Stephanie} Jackie wrote: "Read it, that is why bought the full length books (again after the first set burned up in house fire ) because the short story made me determined to read the series."

That is so sad:( You poor thing.

Jackie Stephanie wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Read it, that is why bought the full length books (again after the first set burned up in house fire ) because the short story made me determined to read the series."

That is so sad..."

Stephanie it was an "eye opening" experience but my family and I escaped with no injuries and are doing fine, books can be replaced pets and people cannot.