C.G. Drews's Reviews > Corruption

Corruption by Jessica Shirvington

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2015, read-2015, sci-fi, young-adult, dystopian

I CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE MY EMOTIONS RIGHT NOW. I'm just a blob of FEELINGS, okay?! FEEEEEEEELINGS. I aboslutely love this freaking duology. It's has my most favourite OTP in the universe. It has characters I will cry for. I DO CRY FOR. I just...I cannot.

I picked it up feeling like this:
description

And it quickly zoomed into this:
description

IT WAS FREAKING PERFECTION. I will cry happy, but I will also stomp my foot because it's only a duology and I could've read 294208 million books about these characters.

It was the CHARACTERS that stole the show for me. I can't even begin to describe how awesome the protagonist, Maggie, is. She has guts and gumption. She'll punch you in the face rather than look at you. BUT SHE HAS A SOFT SIDE. She loves her family fiercely (minus her dummy dad, DUH) and if she loves you she'll fight to the death for you. Her character development is phenomenal in here. After being starved for 4-weeks, she has this food fettish. She's literally stuffing cookies in her pocket for no reason. It's so so detailed and accurate. She felt 100% REAL. And she's so much more broken in this one.

Then of course there is QUENTIN. MA BABY. I ship him and Maggie so hard I literally procrastinated reading this book because I loved them so much. They had to be together or I would SCREEEEEAM. My OTP. Just marry, please, and have lots of little vicious children. (view spoiler)

And of course GUS. I LOVE GUS. He's probably my favourite (erm, well, they all are, but come ooooon GUS!) No he's not your Augustus Waters (thank goodness) he's caustic and snarky and has a hateship with Maggie. Except this one it turns into....complicated. I appreciate that the author explored potential feelings of Gus for Maggie but I also love the HONESTY of the situation. It was awkward but it felt right for the story. And it wasn't a triangle. Phewf and thank you. (view spoiler)

The plot was beautiful. Of course I was here for the shipping, AHHHAHA JUST KIDDING. I love the way it panned out. I love how big the world got and how detailed the plans were. I loved the betrayals and the surprises (!! ermagersh so many surprises!!) and I love how the fate of the world DID NOT just rest on two teenagers. They were catalysts. They were not the entire revolution.

Also...there is the finale. In which I BAWLED. I literally turned pages whispering, "No no no no no." BECAUSE. OMG. DEATH.
description
No no no no no. But it was perfect. But no no no.
(view spoiler)

Basically this was freakish perfection. I cannot ask for anything more. I literally have no quibbles. I just want to hug this book and say YES THANK YOU AND PLEASE to Jessica Shirvington. Her mind is amazing. And mean and cruel. But amazing. She spared nothing in the finale AND I LOVE THIS BOOK FOR IT. Paaaaain. But I cannot love it enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Corruption.

October 25, 2014 – Shelved
October 25, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 27, 2015 – Started Reading
February 27, 2015 –
page 130
29.75% "I PERHAPS SNORTED IN AN UNDIGNIFIED FASHION WHEN GUS APPEARED.\n Also. Quentin."
February 27, 2015 –
page 387
88.56% "I HATE THIS BOOK. AND BY HATE I MEAN I LOVE IT. BUT I HATE HATE HATE IT."
February 28, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
February 28, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2015
February 28, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
February 28, 2015 – Shelved as: sci-fi
February 28, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 28, 2015 – Shelved as: dystopian
February 28, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland Wow, I've never heard of these but will check out!

C.G. Drews IT IS THE MOST AMAZING DUOLOGY IN THE WORLD, JEN, I PROMISE.

message 3: by Jen (last edited Feb 28, 2015 03:24PM) (new) - added it

Jen Ryland *cries* appears to be an Aussie-only affair. *Googles plane fare to Sydney*

C.G. Drews WHAT?! NOOOOO. It is endlessly strange, though, because the author is Australian, but the books are all set in America. 0_0

message 5: by Saskia (new) - added it

Saskia It's really odd that she writes American settings... another sad day for Aussie YA. It won't stop me from reading them though! :)

Shannelle CAITTTTT LET'S DO SOMETHING FOR THIS SERIES. Still sad that it's for Aussies only, though. Forever thankful to my Australian friends who lent the book to me through their Kindle.

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) Ok so I finished Disruption and I NEED THE SEQUEL BUT NOBODY HAS THE ORIGINAL ONE AND THE REPUBLISH DATE IS SO FAR AWAY WHAT IS HAPPENING

C.G. Drews @Jessi: THE AUSTRALIAN PUBLISHING WORLD IS CRUEL TO YOU AMERICANS.

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) Is that why?! BUT I CAN'T EVEN FIND IT TO IMPORT. All I can find is the audio T.T I may just order the audio CD from Amazon, it's only $1.48 haha

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews I loved the audio of the first book!! So I totally recommend the narrator. But omg, I knooooow. It's really hard to get books out of Australia sometimes. ;_; All I can suggest is maybe trying fishpond.com.au? But not sure if they'd have it either. :/

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) I will try that! If I can't find it I'll just get the audio lol

Kayley Martinez I don't even have words. i have so many emotions from this book which were all said perfectly here. Also, was i the only one that loved but also couldn't get over the ending?