Katrina's Reviews > Dark Places

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

bookshelves: 2014-books, contemporary-fiction

Having just finished Gone Girl and Sharp Objects, I was hesitant to start Dark Places. Did I really want to read another book filled with characters with few redeeming qualities? Did I really want to read another of her books filled with the callous mistreatment of humans and animals and where the sex is raw and vulgar? But, thanks to the quality of Flynn's story telling ability, I got sucked in after the first few pages. Who doesn't love a good mystery?! I had to know...if it wasn't Ben who killed the family, who did it? A classic who-dunnit story with the distinct, disturbing Flynn twist. I gave this novel 4 stars, not because I necessarily enjoyed reading it (too dark, too disturbing) but because it is very well-written. Flynn displays tremendous writing talent as she creates an ominous mood with gloomy, sinister imagery and unforgettable characters ranging from flat-out sociopathic evil to pathetic, depressing and inert. She commits full-throttle to this gloomy story; there is no brief comic relief or hint of humor, no touch of romance or sweetness. The pace is mercifully quick with a realistic resolution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Places.

October 25, 2014 – Started Reading