Allison's Reviews > The Skin Type Solution: A Revolutionary Guide to Your Best Skin Ever

The Skin Type Solution by Leslie Baumann

Jun 26, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: genre-nonfiction, genre-health-beauty, type-grownup-books, read-2010
Read in June, 2010

This totally did not make sense. Her whole premise is that there are four facets of skin -- oily/dry, sensitive/resistant, pigmented/non-pigmented, and wrinkled/tight. So I take the quiz, and I'm oily/resistant/non-pigmented/tight. That makes sense.

But the section for that type of skin kept saying that it's the best kind to have because you don't have any skin problems! Which... I do, kind of a lot. And it talked about how people with this type of skin don't get acne, which is news to me, as I've been struggling with acne since I was ten. You "might" have a slight oiliness problem if you have this type. It also didn't seem to take into account that I might not have wrinkles because I'm 25 -- this book was clearly marketed to women for whom aging is an issue.

So I check out the section on oily/sensitive/non-pigmented/tight, as that's the only place there was any wiggle room in my quiz score. And the sensitive section is all about how to deal with redness, which is not a problem I have. (She did have a bit on how to blush less easily, which I don't think of as a SKIN problem.) She only addresses acne very briefly.

Also, she never addresses freckles without assuming it's a thing you hate and want to get rid of -- it's like it never occurred to her that some of us love our freckles.

A totally unhelpful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Skin Type Solution.

06/21/2016 marked as: read