Brittany S.'s Reviews > When Joss Met Matt

When Joss Met Matt by Ellie Cahill

Initial Impressions 12/5/14: IS WAS AMAZING. I LOVED IT. I either want to be friends with Joss & Matt or be Joss & Matt.
CAN'T STOP CAPSLOCKING. I APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING.
Everything was so perfect and realistic. Yes. Perfect.
All the stars.
This is what new adult should be.
Give me all the Liz Czukas books/Ellie Cahill books and no one gets hurt.

Full review posted HERE on The Book Addict's Guide 1/19/15: I love Liz Czukas (sorry, I mean Ellie Cahill *wink*) and so I knew I would love When Joss Met Matt but I didn’t realize how MUCH I would love it. Her debut novel, Ask Again Later, totally won me over but WHEN JOSS MET MATT had me totally falling head over heels for these characters, the story, and how much I connected with absolutely everything (and I already have it pre-ordered).

WHEN JOSS MET MATT is everything I want New Adult to be. Always. We first meet the two during Joss’s first years of college and when a good relationship goes bad, she leans more and more on her new friend Matt who also helped her coin the new idea of “sorbet sex” (having sex with someone else after a bad encounter to wipe the slate clean). I’m not shy around sex in books but there are quite a few times in the new adult books that I’ve read that the sex scenes become tawdry and over-the-top and unrealistic, so although there is plenty of sex in WHEN JOSS MET MATT (hey, that is the whole concept of the book…), it never felt silly or awkward to read (well, except when it was supposed to be)!

The characters were fantastic too. I LOVE Joss and have been in her shoes so many times. I just really connected and although I may not have been in the exact same predicaments, everything was just so incredibly relatable no matter what it was. She and Matt are both just totally normal people. No one is over the top sexy or hunky but there’s enough attraction between the two to flirt with that line of best friends vs something more (MY FAV) and see how the two end up.

Books with flashbacks/flashforwards are often “take it or leave it” for me but I loved the back and forth in WHEN JOSS MET MATT. We start to get to know Joss & Matt in college but the story constantly flashes back and forth between their past and their present day (which also made me VERY NERVOUS but in a good way). It takes a great author to really make those scenes fit together plot-wise even though they’re not chronological and I love the way Ellie Cahill handled them.

But really my favorite part was just the overall feel. I loved that it took place in Wisconsin since I’m from Illinois (and one scene in Chicago!) and I felt that Midwestern vibe, which may not be much different than any other setting, but it really helps me connect that much more. Everyone is very down-to-earth and the situations these two ended up in felt like they could happen to me — or HAVE happened to me. The book was funny yet serious, sexy and sweet, and I absolutely love love loved the ending. If you’re not a fan of new adult, PLEASE try this book! I absolutely adored it and it’s one that I think could easily appeal to YA, new adult, and adult fiction lovers alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Joss Met Matt.

October 24, 2014 – Shelved
October 24, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 24, 2014 – Shelved as: contemp-realistic-new-adult
October 27, 2014 – Shelved as: netgalley-edelweiss
December 1, 2014 – Started Reading
December 1, 2014 –
5.0% "Matt, I already like you. And man, college books always make me miss my college days. I really do want to write one of my own."
December 1, 2014 –
6.0% "Um WOW what a dick."
December 2, 2014 –
8.0% "Guess who has "Hooked on a Feeling" stuck in her head now! Haha. But I can totally picture that scene. So much fun."
December 2, 2014 –
16.0% "Hahaha that's so immature but so adorable for some reason. Oh, Matt."
December 3, 2014 –
30.0% "Seriously just got so excited that she called Matt. MEEEEEP YES"
December 5, 2014 –
45.0% "Well he at least guessed MY first concert right! Hahaha"
December 5, 2014 –
54.0% "TORTURE INDEED. Spit it OUT, Matty!"
59.0% "HAHAHA OMGGGG."
December 5, 2014 –
60.0% "hahahaha omg. Snickering at my desk. Joss cracks me up."
December 5, 2014 –
70.0% "Oh, these two. I just love them. They're hilarious."
December 5, 2014 –
74.0% "*painful silence* Joss. Matt. You two are killing me."
December 5, 2014 –
78.0% "I just want to hug them."
December 5, 2014 –
80.0% "What am I, stupid? Of course I loved this concept. Feelings for the best friend. It took me 80% to think of this? MY FAVORITE TROPE."
December 5, 2014 –
90.0% "Matt Matt Matt Matt Matt Matt......"
December 5, 2014 –
90.0% "Totally sweet. I think my dad said something similar to me <3 Tearing up!"
94.0% "meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"