Alicia's Reviews > Fascinating Womanhood

Fascinating Womanhood by Helen B. Andelin

F 50x66

did not like it
bookshelves: crap-no-one-should-read-ever

I learned absolutely nothing from this book, unless you count that I found out that Helen Andelin is crazy and, in her mind, probably lives in the 1500s. This book teaches women how to be submissive and weak, because that's the way a "true woman" is, as well as to be half-retarded, in order to treat a man right. According to Andelin, men must be catered to all of their lives, and find a weak woman fascinating because they want to scoop her up in their arms and protect her, forever. This would be great as an advice book about 200 years ago, but now, it is ridiculous, and dated compared with the way we live our lives now.

I also take issue with the author because, towards the back of the book, possibly in the summary (?), she suggests that if a man is abusive to you (and yes, she also includes physically), instead of LEAVING THE MOTHERFUCKER, you should sit down and think how you may have wounded his pride to make him react in this way. In other words, girls, IT'S YOUR FAULT!

This book did do one thing, however-it made me glad that my mother, grandma, and aunts raised me to think big, succeed in the real world, and be a strong, independent woman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fascinating Womanhood.

Started Reading
June 25, 2010 – Finished Reading
June 26, 2010 – Shelved
June 26, 2010 – Shelved as: crap-no-one-should-read-ever

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Zakharof (new)

Zakharof Nina Woman today don't need submit to men but share on equal terms. Patriarchal macho hurting society is bettered Holland men education respect