Liralen's Reviews > Westminster Abby

Westminster Abby by Micol Ostow

Oct 24, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: z-2014, fiction, travel, ya, reviewed

Next stop on the S.A.S.S. tour: England, where Abby's parents have dispatched her in order to put a bit of distance between Abby and a particular boy.

But, as it turns out, Abby's pretty okay with her exile to London. Her relationship has soured, and anyway, London seems like a good place to exert a bit of independence from her parents.

I haven't had too much love for a number of the S.A.S.S. books I've read recently, so this one was a pleasant surprise. I related to Abby more than to many of the other books' protagonists, and although she's ready to stretch her wings, she's not trying to go crazy or anything. She's interested in boys but not defined by her relationships (and avoids throwing herself at the first boy in London to show interest); ultimately, she decides that (view spoiler).

I do wish that the supporting cast had been a bit more British -- Abby doesn't even have a language barrier to contend with (well -- she seems to think she does, at least initially), so it might've been nice to see her placed with a family rather than living in a dorm, and going to a regular English school and making English friends rather than sticking with a largely American crowd. (The American crowd does, however, make it easier for the book to cover a lot of the tourist attractions.)

Still. I'm pleased. Next stop is probably Ireland; here's hoping for good things there too.

More general look at the series here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Westminster Abby.

Finished Reading