Michelle's Reviews > The Cold Dish

The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson

bookshelves: library, 2014, favorite-series, reviewed, 2017, kindle, mystery-thriller, westerns
Read 2 times. Last read February 19, 2017 to February 21, 2017.

I might have found a new favorite mystery series! So glad I read this.

Close your eyes and picture with me, if you will. Small town in Wyoming. Trucks. Pancake breakfasts. Rifles and shotguns. Mountains. Snow. Log cabins. Politics. And a lot of interesting characters. Welcome to Absaroka County, Wyoming.

Walt Longmire is the sheriff of Absaroka County, and he's been sheriff for 24 years. The book kicks off with Longmire investigating the death of Cody Pritchard, who was found dead in an apparent hunting accident. Pritchard was convicted a few years back in the gang rape of a local Cheyenne girl who, born with fetal alcohol syndrome, had diminished capacity. Many in the community felt the sentence was too light and justice wasn't served. Walt's investigation leads him throughout the local communities and the Cheyenne reservation, uncovering skeletons and a lot of old wounds for everyone.

Craig Johnson does a great job of painting colorful characters and realistic relationships. The friendship between Walt and Henry Standing Bear was one of my favorite parts of the book. He has a unique team assisting him at the sheriff's department, from sassy Ruby, his dispatcher / den mother, to Vic Moretti, his foul-mouthed deputy and hand-picked replacement when he retires. But beyond the characters, who I dearly love, Johnson crafted a good mystery with lots of twists and turns. I had no idea how it would end, but when he got us there I could see how the clues fit together.

If you are looking for a good mystery series with great characters, give this one a try. I can't wait to start the second book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cold Dish.

October 23, 2014 – Shelved