Jasmin's Reviews > Living Dead in Dallas

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal-romance, mystery, paranormal, romance, fiction, three-stars, vampire, shifters, werewolves, humor, romantic-suspense, suspense, reviewed-by-me, must-read-series
Recommended for: True Blood Die Hard Fans

It was extremely hard thinking of Eric Northman, 6'4", blonde with blue eyes, need I mention a super gorgeous hunk, a vampire, and Sheriff of Louisiana Area 5, an entrepreneur (owner of bar Fangtasia) in a PINK LYCRA especially when I pictured him as Alexander Skarsgård who looks like this

But imagining the bulge his would form, Eric Northman in a pink lycra doesn't seem like a bad idea. I think I'm pro pink lycras. Especially if someone this hot would wear them. I even think I should advocate the wearing of lycras on men. *drool* Hmm, well maybe not in pink, but in more manly colors :))
___
Dead in Dallas, the second installment of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, is an entertaining quick read. I'm not a big fan of Charlaine Harris' writing style, but I have to admit, the lady has a great imagination.

This book, practically covers up the entire second season of True Blood. But don't think that it's basically the same, because it's not. It's different in a way the the TV series has more drama. But still, as I said, the book was very entertaining.

Sookie Stackhouse is attacked by a maenad, a worshiper of the God of wine and all things crazy, as a message to Eric Northman. After Sookie being healed, she is lent to the Dallas vampire sheriff, to read the humans who might have seen the missing vampire Farrell. But the search becomes complicated as they end up searching at the religious group, Fellowship of the Sun with a century old suicidal vampire as an ally. After fixing the Dallas affair, Sookie goes off with Eric Northman (yes, in a pink Lycra) to an orgy, to find LaFayette's murderer. But, not only do they find LaFayette's murderer, they also manage to be in the middle of the maenad's frenzy.

The main reason why I'm reading this, is because it's agonizing to wait for every season of True Blood in HBO to come, since it's painstakingly long. It's pure torture.

I'm not a big fan of the books, but, if Charlaine Harris makes me imagine men in more pink Lycras, I think this will soon be my favorite series :))

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Dead in Dallas.

June 25, 2010 – Started Reading
December 15, 2010 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
December 15, 2010 – Shelved as: suspense
February 25, 2014 – Shelved as: reviewed-by-me
November 17, 2014 – Shelved as: must-read-series

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Kat Kennedy I prefer the Eric from the books. I think Alan Ball is on a one-man mission to destroy Eric's character in the series.

Jasmin Kat wrote: "I prefer the Eric from the books. I think Alan Ball is on a one-man mission to destroy Eric's character in the series."

i agree. he's like super pro-bill. i dont like bill.. even before i read the series. i'm all for eric. go team Eric :)

Kat Kennedy Yey! I agree. Why's he trying to turn Bill into some kind of interesting character? Bill is and always was a smelly old codger.

Jasmin Kat wrote: "Yey! I agree. Why's he trying to turn Bill into some kind of interesting character? Bill is and always was a smelly old codger."

yes. hbo is turning bill into some sort of decent saint. i hope the series would stray away from bill. Maybe this season, there would be a different turn of events. Hope they would bring Eric more in the picture.

Kat Kennedy Have you seen the first 3 episodes of season 3? They're demonizing Eric... again! Making Bill out to be some hero... again! Rubbish! I hate them! Alan Ball is so off my Christmas card list this year!

Jasmin Kat wrote: "Have you seen the first 3 episodes of season 3? They're demonizing Eric... again! Making Bill out to be some hero... again! Rubbish! I hate them! Alan Ball is so off my Christmas card list thi..."

woah. i havent watched it yet, because i plan on reading book3 first. i hate bill. aww. and alan ball. i'l put him in my Christmas list though. I'll give him a death threat. damn. eric's too yummy to be a villain. i was hoping to see more of him this season :|

M (aka DarkBeauty73) Totally love the books and the show but sometimes you got to look at them as to separate things. I am so Team Eric. I think sometimes it is hard to convey exactly what is written to the screen. I think for the most part Ball is doing a wonderful job even with the changes and the things he has added. I read the first book before the show was even thought of but now when I read them I see the characters from the show.

Tanya As some one who has only seen the first episode of the series and read the first 5 books, I must say two things:
Charlaine Harris = not a great writer, but fun.
Team Eric = TOTALLY!!! Bill is creepy..
Oh and that picture, THANK YOU! It makes me want to go out and buy the series on bluray!

Kat Kennedy I am more than willing to deviate my expectations from the book in many regards but I feel that many of his changes undermine the strength of women in the books.

Queen Sophie has gone from an elegant, intelligent, scheming and powerful leader to a stupid, teenage brat.

Tara was a damaged yet successful business woman, owning and operating her own store. Now she can barely hold down a job. I realize Tara's story needed to be expanded on but they could have kept Tara's Togs and frankly these changes chafe a lot to me.

Jasmin @melanie, I know it's kinda late for my reply, but i'm on team eric, but I do believe that the series has more drama.

@tanya, umm, i have to agree. Charlaine Harris, is imaginative, but the way she puts it in words is kinda off. and *waves flag of team ERic* Alexander Skarsgard as Eric is way so worth it :)

@kat, I cannot remember sophie from the books (well, I just read two books of the series), but the tv show is deviating too much from the books. Tara's barely even mentioned in book 2, but in the series, she's sort of like the lead supporting actress there. Well, maybe our friend allan ball has some great plot under his sleeve. But I would greatly appreciate it if they would Give us more Eric action in the show!

Michelle Hi! I'm on book #6. Although Sookie likes Eric, she still scared of him. On the other hand, even though she hasn't been dating Bill for a while, she's not scared of him and trusts him. Sorry to all that posted here but I kinda want Sookie and Bill to get back together. But for that to happen, she has to be super strong and not take him lying to her all the time and seeing other woman when he can't have her blood. He should go crying to her house every night and beg for forgiveness....and of course..what she always wanted from him....a bouquet of flowers

Trudy I had to like this review - come on... that picture alone... lol I have to wipe my drool and go back and read what you actually wrote AFTER the picture. :)

Team Eric for sure... I burned through all of these books in about 2 weeks... I am glad to see that the series is going to be a bit different then the books since season 1 was EXACTLY the same, but I agree... let Bill be... the series and the books are about Sookie and Eric...

Forget the pink lycra, did you get to the part about him running naked yet!?!?!?!?

Jasmin HAHA, yeah I did! But he still has to look decent around the old ladies, right? We wouldn't want grannies dropping on their feet because of a heart attack :)

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa THANK YOU! Ahhhhh...