Amy's Reviews > I Am Spock

I Am Spock by Leonard Nimoy

Jun 25, 2010

bookshelves: random

Well, I can't say much about this because it's not a fairytale where there are main characters who go on a magical journey to wherever... But this book was AMAZING!!!!!!

OK, first off: I am a proud Trekkie. This will NEVER change. This book helped reinforce my belief that being a Trekkie is good for the soul, ha ha. Anyway, this book was put out to tell more stories about Leonard Nimoy/Spock, as well as to dispel the rumors that he hated playing Spock. That rumor was started by his first published book, called "I Am Not Spock."

Anyway, it's clear from reading this that Leonard Nimoy loves being Spock and always feels like he's got a little Vulcan sitting on his shoulder, giving him little bits of logic for tough situations. He frequently gives us dialogues to read between "Spock" and "Nimoy." (NOTE: His first book was called "I Am Not Spock" partially to say that Leonard Nimoy is separate from Spock, but they influence each other greatly. Wow. Nimoy says it better. YOU read the book. I can't explain.)

One really sad part in the book was when Nimoy was talking about "The Wrath of Khan," the movie where Spock dies. Now, usually, we see dialogue between Spock and Nimoy at the beginning of a chapter, but I found only a monologue:
[NIMOY:]"Spock?"
(silence)
[NIMOY:]"Spock?!"
(silence)
[NIMOY:]"Spock, I'm so sorry..."
Leonard Nimoy felt like he had killed the Vulcan on his shoulder. It actually made me want to cry. Oh well.

I loved reading about the jokes/stories on set! There was one story in particular that I never want to forget. Bill Shatner (Captain Kirk) and Leonard Nimoy were working on the episode in the Original Series called "The Devil In The Dark." There is the scene where Spock mind-melds with the Horta (the creature they find in the tunnels there). Now, Bill Shatner's father died while they were working on that episode, but Shatner refused to leave without finishing his scenes. He then proceeded to finish his scenes and leave for his dad's funeral.
When he came back, it became apparent that his sense of humor was intact. He asked Leonard Nimoy to demonstrate the mind-meld with the Horta, and Nimoy obliged happily. He knelt on the floor, put his hands on an imaginary Horta, and began to say, "Pain, pain, PAIN," just the same way as in the actual clip. Well, while Nimoy was shouting pain to the skies, Bill Shatner shouted something like this: "We need Asparin! Can't you see this guy's in pain?!" Fun stuff.
Oh, and Bill Shatner found clever ways of hiding Nimoy's bike (like suspending it from the ceiling of the set). Fun stuff!

The only part about the book I didn't like was the chapter about "The Good Mother," one of the films Nimoy directed. I don't want to watch that film, by the way. It deals with this mother who tries to do the best for her daughter by never refusing to give her information, even about the more explicit stuff (that's my way of putting it lightly, by the way. Not gonna actually say what the book said). So, that whole chapter wasn't my favorite because it mentioned "embarassing"(?) body parts. But hey, it didn't ruin Star Trek for me, because it wasn't even about Star Trek.

This book was amazing, and I want to read the other book (I Am Not Spock) really soon. It was fun to hear about Nimoy's Star Trek, film, theater, and directing career.

Oh, and I LOVE his writing style! :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Spock.

Started Reading