✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)'s Reviews > Magic Rises

Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews

The Grand IAA™ KD Buddy Rerererereread Extravaganza (GIAAKDBRE™), aka the yellow brick road to Magic Triumphs

Let's see, what do we have here?

Pure Condensed Undiluted Concentrated Total Kate Daniels Gloriousness (PCUCTKDG™).

Barabas (view spoiler) rocking the electrocuted look.

③ A werejackal soccer mom on steroids.

④ The Pervert getting kidnapped.

Personally, I would have left the Perv to die slightly dead (he is, after all, an egomaniacal scumbag), but Kate being not nefarious like me, she decided to go rescue the creep. So she grabbed her no-longer-teenage werewolf sidekick and her ever-barfing mutant attack poodle, and went to extricate the Undeserving Creep (UC™) from his latest predicament. Sigh. I really need to talk some sense into that girl. Her heart is not nearly black enough, if you ask me. I think a short stay in my Marianas Trench resort under the loving care of Fleet Admiral DaShrimp is guaranteed to do her some bad good.

⑤ Best "If You Can't Convince Them, Confuse Them" (IYCCTCT™) class ever, courtesy of Kate Daniels. Nothing like befuddling the fish out of kidnappers by telling them they got it all wrong and should be paying you, not the other way around. Ha.

Post-shift boy bands. Super hip, avant-garde, cost-effective and a little homicidal. In one word, perfect.

Cut cut cut, chop chop chop, slice slice slice. YAY.

And last, but certainly not least:

And that, my Little Barnacles, is always a winner in my Crustacean Empire of Pincers and Doom (CEoPaD™).

Bye now.

Merged review:

Presenting Episode 6, or How Kate Daniels Learned That It's Fishing Hard To Resist The Fishing Urge To Fishing Punch The Fishing Pack Princess

» And the moralssssss of this particular rererereread are:

I never wrote a proper crappy non review for this book. Yeah yeah yeah, I know, shame on me and all that crap. Anyway, what does this tell you? That I am as lazily uninspired as a Tibetan crayfish monk high on butter tea, you say? Ha. Ha. Ha. You're so funny sometimes, you crack my little self up. Let's try this again, shall we? So, what does this tell you? That this is the best bloody shrimping book in this whole bloody shrimping series, that's what. And the confused people who don't like this instalment because spoiler spoiler spoiler either 1/read it erroneously wrong or and 2/have Despicable Book Taste (DBT™).

My dear Edgar, always so supportive. He really is the best cuddly pet ever.

I will never of tire of listening to Desandra's lectures about, um, plums.

Epic fights are epic. Yes they are.

I want to go live on the mountain with Astamur and Atsany. Because hahaha and because Aarh and because second breakfast. And also becomes sometimes someone hikes up the mountain and throws tantrums and plays with rocks and stuff.

Mutant kangaroo goats, the best alternative to caffeine barnacles.

There seems to be a worldwide conspiracy to make puny humans think dolphins are cute, friendly, outgoing creatures. This is all bullshit FishShit (FS™). Yes it is. Trust me on that one, I have centuries of experience as a Ruthless Overlord of All Things Subaquatic on this Planet (ROaATSotP™). I KNOW about these things.

Damn, who let the kids out again?! Fleet Admiral DaShrimp, what the fish am I paying you for?! Can't you see I'm kinda sorta busy here?! Get the troops off my nefarious back this minute!

The Momentary End. I shall return. Yes, this is a threat. You are quite welcome.

💌 A very private, personal message to my Dearest Dearest Lorelei (DDL™): YOU DEAD YET?

[July 2016]

KD is the Cure to All of Life's Problems Buddy Read (KDitCtAoLPBR™) with my dear wife Ange, and the poor IAA souls who have fallen into our deathly KD Surprise Reread Trap (KSRT™).

Previous rating: 12 stars
New rating: no longer counting. It's useless.

» And the moral of this particular rererereread is: damn. I ♥♥LOVE♥♥ this book. I actually think I ♥♥LOVE♥♥ it more than I do Magic Strikes. That's right. I love this more than I do the Midnight Games. And flying palaces. And the Scarlet Star. AND HOT TUBS. Oh boy.

» And the other moral of this particular rererereread is: Your Smug Fussiness, you might be a complete ass, but I still love you. Sometimes. When I don't feel like chopping you into tiny little pieces, that is.

» And the other, other, other moral of this particular rererereread is: please someone, anyone, punch/slap/stab/torture/kill/whatever the Fucking Pack Princess (FPP™). Don't let me get to her first. It wouldn't be pretty.

The End. Until next time.

PS: Desandra, you slightly unhinged nutcase, I love your bedtime stories about plums. So educational and stuff.

Previous rerereread: July 2015.

Previous rating: 5 stars.
New rating: 12. Hell yeah.

Get on boat.

Say hi to the dolphins pirates.

Get off boat.

►► Crappy yet (hopefully) ♫ musical ♫ review to comeJuly 2016: still waiting for this review? Me too. Can't wait for someone to write it. Because I have no freaking clue what the whole ♫ musical ♫ thing was supposed to be about. Alzheimer is me.

Book 1: Magic Bites ★★★★★
Book 7: Magic Breaks ★★★★★
Book 8: Magic Shifts ★★★★★
Book 9: Magic Binds ★★★★★
Book 10: Magic Triumphs ★★★★

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Rises.

Quotes ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Liked

Ilona Andrews
“You’re taking a nap? Come on, Kate, I need you for this fight. Stop lying around.”
“You must think you’re funny.”
“Just saying, you have to pull your own weight. A hot body and flirting will only get you so far.”
“Everything I do, I learned from you, boy toy.”
“Boy toy?” Curran asked.
“Would you prefer man candy?”

“Aha! So I’m not crazy.”
“You are most definitely crazy,” Derek said. “But in a deranged, endearing way.”

Ilona Andrews
“Anger - a better alternative to caffeine.”

Ilona Andrews
“Outside the windows the day was bright: golden sunshine, blue sky, pleasant wind . . . I wanted to punch the happy day in the face, grab it by the hair, and beat it until it told me what the hell it was so happy about.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Rises

June 21, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
June 21, 2014 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
June 21, 2014 – Shelved as: kindle (Kindle Edition)
June 21, 2014 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy (Kindle Edition)
June 21, 2014 – Shelved as: cool-kick-ass-chick... (Kindle Edition)
June 21, 2014 – Shelved as: favourite-series (Kindle Edition)
June 22, 2014 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
June 25, 2014 –
60.0% "What the hell is Curran up to with Lorelei???!!!" (Kindle Edition)
June 26, 2014 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
July 29, 2014 – Shelved as: kate-daniels (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014 (Kindle Edition)
October 23, 2014 – Shelved
October 23, 2014 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
October 23, 2014 – Shelved as: home-library
October 23, 2014 – Shelved as: kate-daniels
October 23, 2014 – Shelved as: favourite-series
October 23, 2014 – Shelved as: cool-kick-ass-chicks-harem
October 25, 2014 – Shelved as: absolute-favourites (Kindle Edition)
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: absolute-favourites
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 23, 2015 – Shelved as: ilona-gordon-i-reve... (Kindle Edition)
January 23, 2015 – Shelved as: ilona-gordon-i-revere-you-as-gods
January 25, 2015 – Shelved as: rawrrr (Kindle Edition)
January 25, 2015 – Shelved as: rawrrr
March 9, 2015 – Shelved as: br-2015
March 13, 2015 – Shelved as: poof-gone-harem (Kindle Edition)
March 13, 2015 – Shelved as: poof-gone-harem
May 3, 2015 – Shelved as: blood-and-gore-and-... (Kindle Edition)
May 3, 2015 – Shelved as: blood-and-gore-and-violence-oh-my
July 25, 2015 – Started Reading
July 25, 2015 –
1.0% "Let's get on that boat sugar woogums, I'm more than ready to punch the freaking pack princess!\n \n "
July 27, 2015 –
68.0% "✉ Personal message to the Beast Lord: you, Curran Lennart, are a complete and total ass. I'm in love.\n \n \n \n PS: I think I'll go for both."
July 28, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
July 28, 2015 – Shelved as: rr-2015
July 28, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 31, 2016 – Shelved as: the-awesome-bunch (Kindle Edition)
January 31, 2016 – Shelved as: the-awesome-bunch
July 18, 2016 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: rr-2016
July 20, 2016 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
November 25, 2017 – Shelved as: let-s-dance-the-nig... (Kindle Edition)
November 25, 2017 – Shelved as: let-s-dance-the-night-away
March 12, 2018 – Started Reading
March 12, 2018 – Shelved as: rr-2018
March 12, 2018 –
page 1
0.31% ""Do not punch the pack princess; do not punch the pack princess..."

"
March 14, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
March 14, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 15, 2018 – Shelved as: welcome-to-the-zoo
March 26, 2018 – Shelved as: diversity-is-slight... (Kindle Edition)
March 26, 2018 – Shelved as: diversity-is-slightly-scrumptious

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

Evgeny Glad to see the series still runs at full steam :)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Oh yes it definitely does! Although I'm such a giddy fangirl with all things Kate Daniels, you can't really trust my judgement there! :D

Veronica Rosa So glad I listened to you and read this book. Loved it!

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Veronica Del Rosa wrote: "So glad I listened to you and read this book. Loved it!"

YAY!!!! *does a celebratory happy dance*

Trish Don't worry, I want that bitch all to myself and there will be nothing left. I was actually disappointed that Kate didn't get to kill her. You know, accepting the challenge. Instead, she probably died in that fire. Too bad. The humiliation would have been a little bit soothing after all the shit that happened to Kate in this one!

message 6: by RedL. (new)

RedL. I am almost ready. I bought KD 1 special kindle editions, with quiz, explanations and Curran's POV....

Trish *lol* a quiz even?! Holy wow. The Curran POVs are a nice addition but I was missing at least one scene I would have wanted from his POV (book 4). xD

message 8: by RedL. (new)

RedL. Yes yes, all kind of info on the world, if I got it right, the quiz and the info is to find your own place there, something like that ;-) I Hope Curran's POVs are related only to book 1 anyway, it wouldn't make sense including scenes from books one hasn't read yet.

Trish Oh, the little fangirl in me is getting excited! Now I want that quiz too! *lol*
As for the Curran stories, don't worry. The usually write which book the story is from underneath the title so nobody gets spoilered (at least they did that in the collection I have).

message 10: by RedL. (new)

RedL. I feel so much pressure for this series is not normal! It is so well known, so loved...but I have so many other things I need to read as well, I keep postponing it! I wouldn't like not loving it. Yes, I am very curious about that quiz too, hopefully I just haven't made it up in my mind ahahah!

Trish *lol* I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was a KD virgin until a month ago! I was so nervous about what would happen to me if I didn't like it although the quotes here were so snarky and fun. And then I didn't hype the first book at all (3 stars) so I could practically feel the fans stabbing me for my blasphemy. MUHAHAHAHAHA! But the series really did get phenomenal and now I'm totally sold and have abandoned my huge TBR mountain until I'm done with the series (I'm reading #7 now, then #8 - also in July since they are fast reads - and #9 as soon as it's released in September).

Let me know about that quiz!

message 12: by RedL. (new)

RedL. Trish wrote: "*lol* I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was a KD virgin until a month ago! I was so nervous about what would happen to me if I didn't like it although the quotes here were so snarky and fun. And then ..."

Trish RedL. wrote: "I will go completely insane, I know myself, I will obsess about it either way, ahahah, but I am sooooo willing to do it! I just hope I won't start slaying my family after reading it ahahah! Yes, I will share all I can from the special edition :-)"

If you anything like me, you'll definitely get an itch in your hand! *evil grin*
I was going berserk, especially during book 6, although a friend read it faster than I did and gave me spoilers!

message 14: by RedL. (new)

RedL. Trish wrote: "RedL. wrote: "I will go completely insane, I know myself, I will obsess about it either way, ahahah, but I am sooooo willing to do it! I just hope I won't start slaying my family after reading it a..."

:-O YOU ARE MAKING IT WORSE!!! *pulls hair wanting to quit working and hide in the toilet to read*
No, really, I am calm, totally zen...no spoilers pleaaase!!!

Trish *evil grin*
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! "Totally zen"! If only you knoew how fitting that is! :D
Don't worry, I don't spoiler unless someone wants me to.

message 16: by RedL. (new)

RedL. Trish wrote: "*evil grin*
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! "Totally zen"! If only you knoew how fitting that is! :D
Don't worry, I don't spoiler unless someone wants me to."

You're killing me, but the good way :-)

Trish RedL. wrote: "Trish wrote: "*evil grin*
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! "Totally zen"! If only you knoew how fitting that is! :D
Don't worry, I don't spoiler unless someone wants me to."

You're killing me, but the good way :-)"

*lol* I only want to spread the feeling, hoping it will ease my own pain.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Did you two think you'd gotten rid of me somehow? Ha! My response time might not be what it once was, but alive I still am. More or less:P

@Trish: if we sold tickets to every person who wants The Bitch dead, we'd be filthy rich, haha. Her dying in the fire wouldn't be painful enough for her. It would be much better if she'd survived the fire. Crippled and horribly disfigured. Take that you spoiled brat. Muahahahaha.

@RedL: okay. I need to know what edition you're talking about. NOW. I want to take that quizz. (view spoiler)

Trish ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "Did you two think you'd gotten rid of me somehow? Ha! My response time might not be what it once was, but alive I still am. More or less:P

@Trish: if we sold tickets to every person who wants The ..."

*lol* I had no doubt. And yes, I like the ticket idea. ;P Although I do NOT like the idea that someone else gets to hit her until she can't remember her own (stupid) name. As I said, I had hoped that fight between her and Kate was actually going to happen but nooooo, Mr. Furriness had to step in. *grumbles* I'm reading #7 currently and am dreading the moment she might make an appearance (after all, we did not specifically read that she's dead and she was/is a shapeshifter).

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I seriously need to start this series sometime. Great review :-)

Trish Melissa wrote: "I seriously need to start this series sometime. Great review :-)"

You do, but make sure you have enough tissues and comfort food!

Trish Sarah, as soon as you read this, I need your help (Brad can't remember such details, but I'm sure your crazy ass can ;P):
(view spoiler)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Sorry I didn't have the chance to reply to your comment sooner, Trish! Things have been pretty complicated over here these last few days, and I can't be online more than a few minutes at a time:(

(view spoiler)

Trish It was right after the thing with Erra so not in the future. Just like a few days later. And yes, I'm positive about Nov 15.

And no worries about not being online often - I know you have a lot to do right now but wanted to post this before I forgot again.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) I've been thinking about it and there really seem to be something wrong with the time frame here. I've discussed it with Robin and we both think that the events at the end of book 4 should have happened closer to Christmas. Either that or the beginning should have happened sometime in November.

We've done several rereads with the IAA group now, and have been noticing quite a few discrepancies like this one in the first books. I think the Andrews must have put together some kind of system as the series progressed, because there are very few inconsistencies in the books these days. Besides, they use beta readers now, which probably helps a lot:)

Trish ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "I've been thinking about it and there really seem to be something wrong with the time frame here. I've discussed it with Robin and we both think that the events at the end of book 4 should have hap..."

Ok so at least I'm not going crazy (not more than usual anyhow). ;P
In book #7 they called her sword (view spoiler). :( Oh well, it happens. As long as it's not too often ...

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Trish wrote: "✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "I've been thinking about it and there really seem to be something wrong with the time frame here. I've discussed it with Robi..."

Oh yeah, I remember that about the sword. These mistakes are actually kind of fun to spot when you're really familiar with the series. It kind of feels like a scavenger hunt;)

Trish *rofl* That is one way to look at it. I don't really like mistakes in books so it's rather a negative feeling (especially when combined with these not-very-nice covers)!

Joyce i cant believe kate daniels is ending soon. i hope the spin-off happens *fingers and toes crossed*

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Kathleen wrote: "i cant believe kate daniels is ending soon. i hope the spin-off happens *fingers and toes crossed*"

Only about 6 months to go and it will all be over O_O The Andrews better start writing spin-offs posthaste or I might unleash the crustaceans on them:D