MC's Reviews > The Devil is a Part-Timer Light Novel, Vol. 1

The Devil is a Part-Timer Light Novel, Vol. 1 by Satoshi Wagahara

I gave an overview of the plot in my review of the manga adaptation last month. Therefore, I am not giving much detail here. Instead what I am going to do is to comment on what I liked so much about this work and what I hope I find changed in future volumes of the series when they are translated.

As I noted in the earlier said review, I noted how it is closer to the source material presumably, well, it is. In that way, we can see a few things that the anime changed. Maou is much more evil initially and not just some "misunderstood" guy, and Emi is brutal at times, but still very heroic and principled. Also, her anger at Maou is justified.

The plot is the three of them, Emi, Maou, and Alciel, adapting to life in Japan and "going native" as it were. You see, Maou is evil at first, as is Alciel. But while Alciel mellows a bit, Maou does so a lot and this can frustrate Alciel somewhat.

This sets up later stories, I presume, and Maou is not a good guy at first, but becomes one. This interplay with Emi that his change of heart, and her inability to harm him as helpless or powered up but good, is at the heart of the story.

I just wish we had more Emi scenes from her own point of view. Maybe it's because Yoko Hikasa, the voice actress of Emi, is one of my favorite female seiyuu, but I just adore Emi. Well, that and her principles, which even with the more tsunderish, unfair portrayal in the anime, still came through. She is not willing to get along with the (former) bad guys as easily as the anime, but is generally far more reasonable and kind to them nonetheless.

Really this is an example of how the original novels for something, showing you the characters intended portrayals, and their thoughts, can be far more illuminating than the adaptation, which has to make certain changes for story, comedy, so on. Or chooses to change things. It's up for debate if they have to do so or not.

Great series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil is a Part-Timer Light Novel, Vol. 1.

October 22, 2014 – Shelved