Silver James's Reviews > Etched in Bone

Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop

bookshelves: 2017-books-read, audio-books, auto-buy-series, fantasy, keeper, romance, 2019-books-read, reread, 2020-books-read, urban-fantasy, 2021-books-read, favorite-authors, alternative-history
Read 4 times. Last read January 14, 2021 to January 16, 2021.

Etched in Bone (The Others, #5) by Anne Bishop 2021: This series is oddly comforting in these weird times. That's my only addition to what I've already said.

2020: *sigh* Meg and Simon. I want more of them. A lot more. I suspect, though, that should Ms. Bishop continue writing in the world of The Others, we'll only get glimpses of human-enough wolf and the wolf-enough human. So many stories in this world I want told. Patience. In the meantime, all the feels I have for this book remain. Read my original review for those.

3/19 review: I can't believe I've only read/listened to this book one time. Evidently, I didn't go back for a series reread when LAKE SILENCE released last year. I suppose I didn't feel the need since the world was already familiar and the characters were all new. That is not the case in the newest release in this series, WILD COUNTRY. The author's notes at the beginning state this book's timeline runs concurrent with the events in ETCHED IN BONE. Given that EIB follows hard on the heels of the events in MARKED IN FLESH, I went back to MIF to refresh my memory. I rather wish now that I'd gone back to the beginning but I have multiple rereads of the first three books and they seem fresher in my mind.

Anyway, I somewhat digress. I repeat my original thoughts on this book. Wow. Nothing has been lost in this re-listen and the impact of Ms. Bishop's words on me as a reader remain the same. This series remains a favorite and this book one of my favorites in the series.

[Original 2017 review] Wow. I had to let things settle in my mind before writing this review. In this last book of The Others (Lakeside arc), Ms. Bishop returns focus to the Lakeside Courtyard. The Elders, at least those the Others call Namid's Teeth and Claws, those darkly dangerous first forms inhabiting the wild country, have come to observe. This is as much their story, as the fate of Thasia rests in their "paws." They are arrogant, as beings such as themselves are wont to be. But they are also curious. "How much human will Namid keep?" is a question asked often, one that Simon, Meg, and all the packs--Other and Human--in the courtyard must answer. This is also a story of Simon and Meg. Of who and what they were, what they are, what they will become.

The tension in this story is smaller, simpler, compressed into a microcosm of Human/Other interaction. Some reviewers haven't liked it. I loved it.

The ending was, like much of the book, a little simple, but in the end, it was that simple for Simon and Meg. He isn't human, but he is enough for Meg. She isn't wolf but she is enough for Simon...

And the Elders will see what new kind of terra indigene will come...

On a side note, there are more books about the Others coming, though the author is moving away from Lakeside Courtyard and its people. I do wish she would consider Prairie Gold, Bennett, and Sweetwater and their people for future stories. From what I've heard, she is going somewhere new in Thasia and introducing new characters readers have yet to meet. I do hope she will peek in on the Lakeside from time to time so we can see how our friends are faring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Etched in Bone.

October 22, 2014 – Shelved