Silver James's Reviews > Marked in Flesh

Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop

bookshelves: 2016-books-read, auto-buy-series, keeper, paranormal, 2017-books-read, audio-books, reread, fantasy, 2019-books-read, 2020-books-read, urban-fantasy, 2021-books-read, favorite-authors, romance, alternative-history
Read 6 times. Last read January 12, 2021 to January 14, 2021.

Marked in Flesh (The Others, #4) by Anne Bishop This is still one of my favorite in the series despite everything that happens. Not for the faint of heart.

2020: I listened to this book last year because LAKE SILENCE came out and I discovered that its story runs concurrent with ETCHED IN BONE, and I needed a refresher of events just prior to EIB. Oh, who am I kidding? I love this series and any excuse for a reread. That said, this is the book that breaks my heart every damn time. Joe Wolfgard. The bison. The inexorable fate that Namid has decreed. But there's also Meg and Simon and a hopeful ending that leaves me smiling at the sweetness that is them. Okay. Moving on... EIB, here I come!

2019 relisten: First, Alexandra Harris does a terrific job of the narration. There are so many (and varied) characters, yet she remains consistent and is very much a "storyteller" with the words provided by Anne Bishop. My previous review stands. This book still hurts my heart, makes me smile with a bit of laughter, and is a thoroughly 5-star read/listen.

[2017 Reread edit] I still love this series and this book. This series is now an auto-buy in all three formats: Hardback for the keeper shelf, Kindle for easy reading, audio for even easier listening. Oh, the things to come in the next book! I hate waiting a year, but the lapse of a year gives me the pleasure of rereading every book in anticipation of the new release.

This is a series I wait a year for the next book. This is a series I buy in hardback so I can see the books on the shelf in my library, where I can take it down and pet. This is a series I buy in digital for ease of staying up all night to read it in one "sitting." This is a book that will be bought in audio for the "re-listen" before the next book releases. In a year. *HUGE sigh*

This book was worth the wait. This book was a white-knuckled slow ride with much flailing at the stupidity of the bad humans. In my review of VISIONS IN SILVER (Others #3), I mentioned the growing relationship between Meg and Simon and I expressed the question of whether Simon could be human enough for her. I was wrong. Simon needs to remain Wolf, because that's who Meg needs. Watching their relationship, watching the changes Simon makes to the Courtyard to please Meg, watching the horror unfold and worrying who will be lost in the final conflict kept me up all night.

There is death and destruction. There is hope, love, and unlikely friendships. There are huge changes to the world. And at the heart of it all stands the "cassandra sangue, Namid's creation, both wondrous and terrible", Meg the Trailblazer, and Simon the Wolf who loves her and who must decide how much humanity to keep...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked in Flesh.

October 22, 2014 – Shelved
March 9, 2016 – Shelved as: keeper
March 9, 2016 – Shelved as: paranormal
March 9, 2016 – Finished Reading
March 10, 2017 – Started Reading
March 10, 2017 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
March 10, 2017 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
March 10, 2017 – Shelved as: audio-books (Hardcover Edition)
March 11, 2017 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
March 12, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 13, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-books-read
March 13, 2017 – Shelved as: audio-books
March 13, 2017 – Shelved as: reread
March 13, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: 2016-books-read (Hardcover Edition)
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-books-read (Hardcover Edition)
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: auto-buy-series (Hardcover Edition)
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy (Hardcover Edition)
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: keeper (Hardcover Edition)
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: reread (Hardcover Edition)
March 7, 2019 – Started Reading
March 7, 2019 –
1.0% "Was all ready to start WILD COUNTRY when the author's note brought me up short. I realized I should go back a few books to reconnect with the places and the characters as WC is in a contemporary timeline with ETCHED IN BONE. I went back one more book for the set-up for Bennett, the town that is the setting for WC."
March 8, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-books-read