Silver James's Reviews > Vision in Silver

Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop

bookshelves: 2015-books-read, keeper, audio-books, 2016-books-read, auto-buy-series, paranormal, reread, 2017-books-read, fantasy, 2020-books-read, urban-fantasy, 2021-books-read, favorite-authors, alternative-history
Read 5 times. Last read January 10, 2021 to January 12, 2021.

Vision in Silver (The Others, #3) by Anne Bishop 2021 re-listen: I mentioned in my very first review of this much reread book that it was a cautionary tale. Given the current climate, I very much identify with the Others and I wonder if some people who think they do also truly understand. We'll see.

2019 re-listen: I'm not sure I have anything left to say about this book. It's sad. And hopeful. It's scary. And sweet. I'm so glad I decided this series fit my end-of-year headspace. On to the next...

[2017 edit] Enjoying reread/re-listen of whole series as I do each year before diving into the new release. Still love the characters, series, narrator, and most especially the author's storytelling ability!

[EDIT: Audio "reread/listen"] I reread (listened) to this book in preparation for the release of the 4th book in the series. Nothing I said in the previous review has changed, but I will add that I enjoyed the narrator in the audio version.

I waited a year for this book. It was worth the wait. Ms. Bishop continues the amazing world-building established in the first book (WRITTEN IN RED) in this series. The drama escalated in the second book (MURDER OF CROWS) and almost comes full circle in this third book. It was close enough that I was worried this was the last book and this would only be a trilogy. After stalking the author's website, there is a promise of two more books, but no timeline on when they will be available. I hope I don't have to wait another year. This book ended on a sweetly hopeful note that entices and teases in all the best ways and leaves the reader wanting to learn if Simon can be human enough for Meg and...well...just read the book for yourself.

How do I describe these books? They are so imaginative and yet so "real" at the same time. I find myself wanting to live in the world, despite the very real threat to humans by the Others. I have total fangirl crushes on Simon, and Vlad, and Henry. I want to feed sugar cubes to the Elemental ponies. I want to bitch-slap the idiot humans for being terminally stupid--yet so very human. And I'm cheering the humans who do understand the precarious balance and their place in the world.

These are not standalone books. Don't deny yourself the opportunity to enjoy each fantastical story--the lyricism, the horror and the very sweetness of Meg and Simon and the Others. Yes, that that statement is a dichotomy. These are cautionary fairy tales in the very best sense. I, quite simply, love them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vision in Silver.

October 22, 2014 – Shelved