melydia's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

I've enjoyed most of the non-horror King I've read, and this was no exception. The story was described to me as a man going back in time to stop the Kennedy assassination, but it's so much more than that. Jake, a high school teacher in the present day, is introduced to a "rabbit hole" that always comes out to the same moment in 1958. In order to stop Oswald, he has to stay in the past for a full five years, and somehow travel from Maine to Texas. In the meantime, he meets tons of fascinating characters, causes all kinds of ripples in the timeline, and falls in love. I did get a bit tired of the constant repetition of "the obdurate past" and "the past harmonizes," but otherwise it was a fine read. I found myself utterly sucked in, wanting to know what would happen to all these characters, if Jake would manage to stop Oswald, if he'd even survive the encounter, if if if. I loved this treatment of time travel, which I hadn't seen much before. I will say that this is a very long book, and you can't be too impatient with it, but if you can sit back and just immerse yourself in the story, you won't be disappointed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.

October 21, 2014 – Started Reading