Esther Bradley-detally's Reviews > Committed: A Memoir of the Artist's Road

Committed by Patrick Ross

Patrick Ross's books is more than a good read. Committed, a memoir of The Artist's Road (his very fine blog) is unique, courageous, sensitive and highly worth reading.

Patrick Ross is a professional storyteller who spent a decade as an award-winning journalist covering D.C. politics, having worked with a U.S. senator.

The theme, or one of the many themes in his account of a cross-country trip, focuses on the artist's commitment. He interviews artists who are comitted to an authentic, and purposeful dedication to their artist lives.

Committed is also a memoir about change, about creativity, repressed or unrepressed.

Patrick Ross reveals internal struggles, family legacies of dysfunction and accusations. And this memoir reveals the affects of his 5 week road trip, which triggers his own put-away-in-the-closet writer's call.

Committed is a book about all of us in one sense. We are now working, living, surviving, scrambling, starving or satiated, for safety, economic security, and thus the overused word "brand," sprouts into being.

The author is a man who has the courage to change. He is also a man who has the courage to reveal.

As a writer myself, I recognize that there is no security, but security finds meaning in actuating potential. I personally found his direct honesty/not confession/ a dropping of the veils of self, the social self heartening. We are all on a journey, and that journey the process of becoming our true selves, which does not mean a dance down a gossamer path, but one of facing the grit, crisis, and victory in our lives.

We are all frail. We are all creative in some ways. We need courage.
Anxiety in my mind's eye, is repressed creativity. Patrick Ross shows us this process, and it was a road trip that did it.

I recommend this book to all artists who need encouragement, or who have had encouragement; to all who struggle finding their path. Committed is heart felt, well written, and sustaining.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Committed.

Started Reading