Brittney Porterfield's Reviews > SLAM

SLAM by Tash McAdam

bookshelves: badass-heroine, fiction, scifi, supernatural, novella

Slam is Tash McAdam's debut novella in which she introduces her characters, as well as, the premise for her Psionics series. In this novella, Serena has committed her life to one task; to find and save her younger brother from the evil grasp of the Institution. In order for her to find him she must first prove that she is strong enough to defend the ARC (Anti-Reprogramming Collective) as a soldier. In order to do so she must survive grueling training and testing. She and the other Psionics (a person with telepathy) of the ARC are battling against the Institution; a domineering government who are bent on total control. The Institution kidnaps Psionic children and uses them for their talents in order to obtain total authority.

I was thoroughly immersed in this gripping page-turner. From the very first page this novella had my full attention. This book has everything a girl could ask for; resilient and engaging characters, action-packed storyline, and an easy, flowing writing style.

At first I thought that I was going to dislike the heroine, Serena. My first impression of her was one of narcissism. However, as the book progressed I realized I had jumped to conclusions on her. She isn't narcissistic. Rather, she is stubborn, which I can definitely identify with. I found Serena to be strong, confident, and brave, while also being kind and agreeable. I admire that, although she has a reason to be, Serena isn’t whiney.

Another character that piqued my interest is the quirky Leaf. For some reason his character stuck out to me. I find that he has an uncanny likeness to the Cheshire cat. Despite the fact that his role only lasts for the middle portion of the book, I found him charismatic, smart and captivating. I hope that he appears later on in the series.

This story is original and a true breath of fresh air. I was so bewitched by the world building. On one hand there is the high and mighty elite class, living in a futuristic, sci-fi type city in which they are cut off from ugly realities. On the other hand, there are the poor people living in absolute squalor and doing their best to simply survive. This sets the stage for some pretty intense conflicts in the future. Furthermore, the mindreading and telepathy add a certain depth to the story that makes it fascinating to read. The tension in this story was so intense at parts I found myself holding my breath until I knew the characters were safe.

McAdam's writing style is seamless. The words and descriptions flow easily from one line to the next. The pacing of the story was perfect; more than enough action to maintain interest while not being over stimulating or confusing. Also, the overall tone of the story is engaging and propels the story to its heart stopping conclusion.

I give this story 5 stars and would recommend it to those who like intense, action-packed, fantastical reads.

I would like to mention that I received a copy of this novella from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SLAM.

October 21, 2014 – Shelved