Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always's Reviews > None of the Above

None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio

bookshelves: arc, swoony-book-boys, did-not-see-that-coming

Ever heard of the term intersex? Before coming across this book, I already knew that there were people who outwardly looked like a true male/female, but had other parts, but I never really knew anything about this condition other than that. None of the Above opened my eyes to this concept, and I believe everyone should at least give this book a shot. It may be a heavy topic to center the book around, but it was important and meaningful.

Kristin was such a realistic narrator. She questioned the universe for her condition, which I believe we would all do if we were in her shoes. But she always put up a brave face for her dad, and I really respected her for that. Sometimes she also dealt with her situation by making jokes out of it, which is what a lot of people do when they're faced with something they know they can't defeat. She was also passionate about running, and when they tried to stop her from what she loved doing most? Sure, she was disheartened and hurt as hell (who wouldn't be?), but in the end, she fought for her right to be a part of the women's team.

“Love isn’t a choice. You fall for the person, not their chromosomes.”

The relationships in this book were absolutely gorgeous. Kristin had the most supportive father who did everything in his power to try to cheer Kristin up and to show her that he still loves her despite her condition. He was an awkward sort of supportive and I found him to be really endearing.

There was also a very tame romance presented in this book, and I appreciated that the author made it so that Kristin's condition was still the star of the book rather than the (super adorable) romance. But I'll talk about it since it was so cute. Darren was such a sweet love interest, and I loved how he was first Kristin's friend and supporter before they got together. You can never go wrong with this kind of romantic development.

This book was proof that while there are people who will judge you for things that weren't your fault, there will still be a handful of people who will try to brighten your day. We may all fall down, but we'll get back up with the help of the people who love us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read None of the Above.

October 21, 2014 – Shelved
October 21, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 21, 2014 – Started Reading
December 21, 2014 – Shelved as: arc
December 21, 2014 – Finished Reading
April 7, 2015 – Shelved as: swoony-book-boys
April 7, 2015 – Shelved as: did-not-see-that-coming

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Bryony (new) - added it

Bryony This is one of my most anticipated reads of 2015, so I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Aimee! :D

message 2: by Jules (new) - added it

Jules EEEEEEEP <3

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always Ebony wrote: "This is one of my most anticipated reads of 2015, so I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Aimee! :D"

I hope you love it, Ebony! <33

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always Jules (Jules Bookshelf) wrote: "EEEEEEEP <3"

<3 ;) :D

Carmel Is this in first person, Aims?

message 7: by steven (new) - added it

steven The first book I read about intersex is The Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin. It's so wonderful and it ended up as one of my favorites this month. Hope you'll check it out. And your review is so good. I wanna read this book :)

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always @Steven: That's awesome! I'm definitely looking that up, thank you. :) I hope you enjoy this one as well!