Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always's Reviews > Magonia

Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley

More reviews like this one on The Social Potato.

If you're going to ask me to describe Magonia in one word, that word would be charming. It was elegant, magical and absolutely captivating.

Reading this book was like floating on a magical, puffy, pink cloud. While eating fairy dust and watching shooting stars. That's how alluring this book was. The only other time I've felt this way was while watching the Stardust movie!

While Aza wasn't physically strong, personality-wise, she was feisty and sassy, which is why it was no wonder I was immediately entertained by her narrative. I felt like I casually slipped into Aza's mind while reading, and her perspective's such an interesting one, considering her unique condition and odd personality.

She also had such an amazing relationship with her best friend and the love of my life, Jason. It's amazing how they're both quirky, and they just have this natural closeness that makes you want to push their faces together while screaming, "Just kiss already!" Jason was such a sweetheart, and it was absolutely heartwarming to see that he was willing to go through such lengths to get his best friend back.

There is a sort-of-but-not-really love triangle, but I can't really go into detail without spoiling. Let's just say that romance lovers need not worry--the other half of the triangle made sense, and the everything went down smoothly.

While the characters and their relationships were fabulous, I can honestly say that the best part about this novel was the world-building. This book is based off a more unknown mythology, and let me just say that Magonia has one of the most gorgeous settings I have ever had the honor of reading about. Everything was so imaginative and vivid, with talking birds, singing birds, and a flying ship in the sky. Sounds crazy? Maybe. But it's the good kind of crazy. It's... wondrously strange.

And OH GOD, the writing, you guys. You know how much I'm not a fan of the more lyrical prose, but Headley's writing just made the story much more real. Like floating on a magical pink cloud, indeed. It was just so elegant yet simple and easy to get into. Feeling what Aza and Jason felt was just natural with this glorious writing. (Not kidding--I may have cried a few times.) I fell in love with it from page one!

The gist of it is that THIS BOOK IS AMAZING AND YOU SHOULD ALL BUY IT AND READ IT AND PET IT. Yep. That sounds about right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magonia.

October 21, 2014 – Shelved
October 21, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 25, 2014 – Started Reading
December 26, 2014 –
58.0% "This is one of those books where you just want to grab the two main characters and squish their faces together. I SHIP IT SO HARD.\n \n (Jason darling, hurry up and find herrrr.)"
December 26, 2014 – Shelved as: arc
December 26, 2014 – Shelved as: swoony-book-boys
December 26, 2014 – Shelved as: nails-are-gone-from-biting
December 26, 2014 – Shelved as: oh-the-fluff
December 26, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Lola Heee, so happy! Can't wait to read this one! Glad you enjoyed, Aimee!

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always I hope you enjoy this one, Lola! <3

message 3: by Kimi (new) - added it

Kimi (Geeky Chiquitas) CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!!!! Happy you loved it! <3

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always Hope you enjoy it too, Kimi! <3

message 5: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Is this a standalone, Aimee?

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always Hi Irish! I'm not sure, but I think it is. The ending's a bit open, though.

Ace Turnberry ♠ Lovely review! Now I really want to read it lol.

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always Thank you, Ace! You should definitely pick it up. It was just released yesterday. ^_^