Amy's Reviews > The Aeronaut's Windlass

The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher

bookshelves: steampunk, recommend, audiobooks

I listened to this on audiobook. It's similar to what you'd get if you sprinkled gravity-defying pixie dust over "Master & Commander," and added some absent-minded wizards, strong-willed teenagers, and arrogant felines (are there any other kind?). It was totally enjoyable, light enough that I could put it down, but with enough action that I did get concerned about some of the characters at times. His "steampunk" world is fascinating, though it seems to be run more by crystals and energy than by steam. I loved the relationship between humans and cats.

I'd recommend it for anyone who is looking for a fun read with a well-developed world and witty banter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Aeronaut's Windlass.

October 20, 2014 – Shelved
October 20, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 19, 2016 – Started Reading
August 2, 2016 –
0.0% "Not quite sure how to calculate my progress with an Audible book here, but I'm on chapter 11. Anyway- I know some reviews mentioned that this book was cliche, but I am loving it. It makes me happy. :)"
August 5, 2016 –
50.0% "So. Good. Journeyman and Kettle give me the most joy when they enter the scene. :)"
August 9, 2016 – Shelved as: steampunk