Mel's Reviews > Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

bookshelves: 4-stars, read-in-2015, owned

4.5 stars. Wow. just wow. honestly this book left me speechless. I feel like I need second hand therapy to survive what this book just put me through.
First of all I will say that I enjoyed this book more than Gone Girl. YES I guessed the entire ending from the beginning, but the mysteries and the story in general were just that much better.
This book follows a girl named Camille who writes for a news journal and she goes to her hometown to investigate the murder of a young girl and the disappearance of another.
This book was just really really great. So messed up. Flynn definitely has a thing for unlikeable characters. There is truly not one likeable character in this book. You feel bad for a few of them, sure, but there are none that you truly like. Camille was the closest I got but I felt bad for her really more than anything else.
I don't really have a lot to say I mean this book was extremely dark. The plot was great, disgusting and dark. The characters were extremely well written and unlikeable and the writing was great as always.
My one problem, and I had this with Gone Girl, is that the book has an extremely rushed ending. It's wrapped up so quickly. It's still a satisfactory ending, it wraps up everything with no loose ends but leaves it with enough where you can decide your own ending, yet it's too quick. Almost as though getting there is more important than the actual way it ends.
I mean I really like the book. It was dark and twisted and mysterious and made me very excited to read the other book she wrote!
I'll throw in a bit that it's a little graphic and kids get killed so yeah if you are sensitive to that sort of thing it's best to steer clear.

Book Challenge book #10 - A Mystery or Thriller

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharp Objects.

October 19, 2014 – Shelved
October 19, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 14, 2015 –
11.0% "Reading this at the gym on my Kindle. It's probably going to be a slow go but so far so good."
January 15, 2015 – Started Reading
January 20, 2015 –
January 22, 2015 –
32.0% "I think my favourite quality of Gillian Flynn books is all her characters are unlikeable, but in different ways for different reasons. It makes for an interesting read."
January 27, 2015 –
50.0% "Her mom makes me want to commit murder."
January 29, 2015 –
70.0% "So. Many. Theories."
February 2, 2015 –
82.0% "So... Messed..."
February 3, 2015 – Finished Reading
February 7, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-stars
February 7, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
June 22, 2018 – Shelved as: owned

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by David (new)

David I was wondering if her other work would compare to Gone Girl, or if it was just trying to capitalize off her success. Looking forward to the review

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Honestly I liked it a lot! It has a really different feel than Gone Girl does but I preferred this one!

message 3: by Marilyn (new) - added it

Marilyn Colon Davis Is this book written in the form of present and the past?

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Nope just present! She talks about her childhood and stuff but she talks about it in present form like you don't actually go to her childhood.

message 5: by Marilyn (new) - added it

Marilyn Colon Davis Oh that's awesome!!! The current one goes into the past so I was concerned. Thanks

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Gone Girl? Yeah it does. I preferred this one tbh.