Stefan's Reviews > The Dervish House

The Dervish House by Ian McDonald

bookshelves: science-fiction

Necdet, a troubled young man, is witness to what looks like a botched suicide bombing on a crowded city tram; afterwards, he starts seeing djinn and other supernatural creatures. Can, a nine year old boy with an amazing robotic toy — and a heart condition that confines him to a silent world — accidentally becomes involved in the intrigue. Ayse, a gallery owner, is contracted to find a mysterious and elusive relic, while her boyfriend Adnan, a successful trader, works on his own scheme to become rich. A retired Greek economist, Georgios, is recruited into a secret government think tank, and Leyla, a young social climber, tries to get involved with a promising nanotech startup.

These six narratives all take place in Istanbul, less than 20 years into the future. The city, historically a crossroads and now also the capital of the newest EU member nation, is where East meets West, old meets new, Christianity meets Islam, and Europe and Asia meet across the Bosphorus river that dissects the ancient city. Likewise, the lives of these six strangers will meet and interconnect in The Dervish House, a gorgeous new SF novel by Ian McDonald.

Just like in The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, that other excellent near-future SF novel set in a capital city where ancient cultural traditions mix with a strong modern and western influence, the various point-of-view characters tell a complex, multi-faceted story, but they also create a vivid impression of life in a bustling, endlessly fascinating metropolis, seen from several equally effective angles. However, don’t draw the comparison between those two novels too far: The Dervish House isn’t without some darker moments, but it’s considerably less grim than The Windup Girl, and Ian McDonald is a much more experienced writer, resulting in a more accomplished novel. Readers who liked The Windup Girl will probably love The Dervish House, but the reverse isn’t necessarily true, even though they’re both excellent and memorable novels.

The Dervish House is initially a bit confusing, as the six separate narratives are each introduced in rapid succession, but Ian McDonald has enough talent to help you settle into the novel quickly. After a few sub-chapters, you’ll start recognizing characters, and even before that point, you can just enjoy the gorgeous prose and the loving look at Istanbul. Luckily, the author doesn’t overdo the exotic, evoking the city’s atmosphere with a few details here and there, letting much of it come across naturally as the story progresses. Leyla hectically trying to get across the city to a job interview, Georgios gossiping in a coffee house with his ancient Greek friends, Adnan and his colleagues obsessing over an upcoming soccer match: it’s hard not to feel as if you’ve actually visited Istanbul after reading The Dervish House.

Even though there are connections between the six narratives, especially towards the end of the novel, it may occasionally feel as if you’re reading six novellas that just happen to be set in the same city. Luckily, they’re six really, really good novellas. Even though you may like some of the story lines more than others, as often happens in novels with multiple p.o.v.’s, don’t skim over any of them, because you’ll find that they all have strong, multi-dimensional main characters and solid plot arcs. By the end, when the stories weave together towards the novel’s climax, I felt as I’d read the literary equivalent of Robert Altman’s Short Cuts, a movie that combines several Raymond Carver short stories into one big, impressive, bustling movie.

In the end, spending some time with these six characters in the fascinating city of Istanbul was pure enjoyment. Look for The Dervish House on the shortlists of the major SF&F awards next year. Highly recommended.

(This review was also published on the Fantasy Literature website: www.fantasyliterature.com - come check us out!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dervish House.

June 23, 2010 – Shelved
June 23, 2010 – Shelved as: science-fiction
July 1, 2010 – Started Reading
July 2, 2010 –
page 116
32.4% "Excellent so far."
July 3, 2010 –
page 199
55.59% "Still excellent. Hope he can pull it all together."
July 5, 2010 –
page 293
July 6, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Have you been to Istanbul? I was lucky enough to spend a few days there and it is a spectacular city.

Stefan I haven't! Closest I've been is Greece - actually VERY close, as I spent time on the island of Samos, which is right off the coast of Turkey.
This is a great book though - especially if you're familiar with the city.

Sandi I got my copy a couple of weeks ago. I have to dig into it.

message 4: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Stefan wrote: "I haven't! Closest I've been is Greece - actually VERY close, as I spent time on the island of Samos, which is right off the coast of Turkey.
This is a great book though - especially if you're f..."

Yes. It sounds good. Writing from several points of view seems to be the new thing -- two new books, both of which were very good, do that -- The Help, and Let the Great World Spin. Loved them both.

Adrienne The copy of Dervish House I read had Ayse and Adnan married with the in-laws not liking Adnan very much.