Amy Bradsher's Reviews > The Brickmaker's Bride

The Brickmaker's Bride by Judith McCoy Miller

Oct 19, 2014

liked it

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brickmaker's Bride.

Finished Reading
October 19, 2014 – Shelved

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Bradsher The Brickmaker's Bride is a unique love story filled with plot twists and unbelievable generosity. It'll keep you guessing the outcome until the very last page. Hugh's gambling habits and bad business dealings affect Ewan and Laura throughout the entire story. He derails Ewan's hard work time and time again, making it difficult for Ewan to make plans with Laura or to establish a home for his sisters. He makes a great villainous character as he continually frustrates the plot and adds wrenches to plans.

On the flip side, I loved Laura. Her sweet, gentle, wise nature contrasts a bit with the stereotypical female of the day, and her compassion is inspiring. Ewan, too, is a great character. I'm fascinated with he Irish, and his immigration story, family history, and knowledge of the brickworks all collided to tell an unusual story of post-Civil War American life.

As much as I loved this story, however, there were a few problematic holes. Ewan had real concerns about a possible relationship with Laura, and while he thinks about them several times, they're never actually dealt with. Problems don't really disappear, as much as we'd like them to, and this was an important plot twist that demanded answers. Books featuring this era seem to gloss over the logistics of relationships often, and while that was not done completely in The Brickmaker's Bride, some issues are worth the time to dissect and answer them. I think the book would have been more complete had this one been hashed out.

With that said, however, I did love the story. It was a bit rosy, but the unique perspective and colorful characters more than made up for that. Miller's writing was smooth, as always, and drew me into the story from the very beginning. The Brickmaker's Bride is definitely a historical fiction worth reading.

I received a free copy of The Brickmaker's Bride from LitFuse Publicity in exchange for an honest review.