Myles Messner's Reviews > Lockdown

Lockdown by Walter Dean Myers

M 50x66

In Walter Dean Myers' story, Lockdown, he tells the story of a young teen who just wanted to help his family but made the wrong choices trying to help. Reese, a nice young boy wanted to help his mother by helping her pay for stuff at home. Him being young, and living In a bad location, came upon wrong choices. He would steal from doctors and sell stolen pills to people on the street. He was caught by the police and brought to a juvinial detention. He will do anything to get home early to make his siblings are doing the right things and so he can help his family out but not making the wrong decisions this time. He is forced to put in hours at a retirement home and his personality is changing completely. He regrets making doing illegal actions, but will the police let him out early so he can help his family?

Walter Dean Myers does a great job expressing how at heart Reese is a nice young boy. He shows how caring he is and how he just wants to help others before himself at all occasions. He makes you feel sympathy for Reese because now he is just stuck in a bad situation, with a police record. The readers may not like how the story can get boring and how a lot of the story is just sitting in the jail cell. He shows how Reese would put his life on the line to help others.

Overall, I give this story a 4/5 stars. I really like how the writer worded each event, and how he set up the scenes so the entire story would make sense. I enjoyed reading each page, learning about Reese's life. At some points in this story, I did get bored. I felt like the writer rambled on when he shouldn't have and that he added unnecessary I formation. I would recommend this book to readers in the low teens. I think many can relate to how Reese feels and they could enjoy hearing about the story of Reese.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lockdown.

Finished Reading