Swankivy's Reviews > Attachments

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

I really enjoyed this for the most part--the protagonist was a genuine person with a bunch of complex, relatable feelings and experiences. What I really liked about Lincoln is that he didn't exactly fall into any super obvious boxes. You kind of expect him to--he's an IT guy, he never fully got back into the romantic swing of things after losing his first love after high school, he lives with his mom, he plays Dungeons and Dragons--but even though those things basically scream "nerd" to people who aren't those things, he's also dealing with a lot of legitimate healing and attempts to find himself, and he's got a complicated relationship with people in general. He seems to be a kind person and feels weird about falling in love with someone (or at least the idea of someone) through her conversations with another person.

It's tempting to say his reading Beth's e-mail was creepy, and he said it about himself, and other people floated the idea that it was creepy. Even though he was supposed to be reading e-mails that got flagged and wasn't going out of his way to look for her content, yes, it was a violation for him to be just spying on her personal conversations, despite that she wasn't supposed to be having them at work. And I guess the narrative kind of tried to balance the "creepiness" by making Beth sort of stalking him too--following him around, listening to how he talked to their older co-worker Doris, talking about his body behind his back to other women. But I tell you what I thought about it.

I thought the way he fell in love with her as a person was very reasonable for someone who a) relates to others through faceless media frequently and b) has a special relationship with written language. Rainbow Rowell is very familiar with the REAL world of Internet fandom and the connections that can be made there. I'm sure she has observed and experienced the intensity and reality of relationships that develop over text--not just between people directly, but that feeling like you're falling in love with who someone is because of how they write. That's a very real thing and it is not in itself inauthentic or creepy.

Lincoln and Beth also went up and down several hills that made it seem like they would or they wouldn't end up together. And even though I'd spent enough time in Lincoln's genuine-but-not-sappy mind to want happiness for him, I would have been okay with it if he'd moved on from Beth like he was kinda trying to. That he wasn't stuck on her the way he was stuck on Sam for all that time. That he could have found some other life too. It just so happens that the way he talked about reconnecting with Beth and the way they could talk about deep and easy connection without making it sound too much like "we fell in love because it is fate and we're having a happily ever after." I also like that Beth was involved with a man for most of the book and how it didn't end over something typical and predictable like the guy cheating on her.

I just found the book really quirky, realistic, fully believable, touching, and very entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Attachments.

October 19, 2014 – Shelved