Jennifer Masterson's Reviews > The Good House

The Good House by Ann Leary

bookshelves: favorites

I bought this a couple of months ago and probably would have read this book sooner but the cover looked like it might be kind of boring. This is a case of don't judge a book by its cover!!! I absolutely loved "The Good House" even though it took me forever to finish because of the holidays, but it was an easy book to put down for a week and get right back into. Now grant it I'm from New England, grew up riding horses and my family is in real estate, but that's not why I loved it. I loved it because of Hildy. She was hysterical!!! There are some twists that I did not see coming that made it a thrilling read, too. This book made me laugh so hard! Alcoholism is not a funny subject but this book is hysterical. I don't know how Leary pulled it off but she did. I think it's because the writing and characters are so well done. I highly recommend it!!! I'm so glad it is being made into a movie starring Meryl Streep and Robert De Niro. I will be the first person at the theatre. It's going on my favorites shelf! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good House.

October 19, 2014 – Shelved
January 4, 2015 –
page 198
January 6, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
January 6, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Larry H Great review! I really enjoyed this book, too. Didn't know they were making it into a movie; that should be something!!

Carol Agreed. Hildy is quite a character and makes the book a delicious if not always delightful read. Some tough subjects handled with humor and grace.

Jennifer Masterson Thank you Larry and Carol. Yeah the movie should be interesting. I can totally see Meryl Streep as Hildy too!

Kelli A movie?! You just made my day. I laughed a lot at this one, too.