Christine's Reviews > My Soul to Take

My Soul to Take by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

liked it
bookshelves: women-writers, mystery-iceland

Thora Gudmundsdottir has some problems. To wit they include (a) her son got his girlfriend pregnant (b) her two children hate spending time with their father (her e husband) because he plays the Icelandic version of Guitar Hero too much, (c) her secretary (d) her relationship with Matthew and, finally, (e) her client who is charged with a murder and who is considering legal action about a land deal because the place might be haunted.

Iceland is apparently like England in this regard.

The ghost is, of course, connected to the mystery of who killed the architect of Thora’s client’s hotel/spa/New Age Retreat, not to mention the guy who got stomped to death by an Icelandic Horse.

Thora also has a problem with the trailer she brought. She’s a bit rash that way.

And I think that is why this book actually works. Thora is just so weird and normal. She might live in Iceland but any reader will know at least one family like hers. The mystery itself does have to do with families and stories, so it too ties into the normalcy despite the almost craziness of the situation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Take.

October 19, 2014 – Started Reading
October 19, 2014 – Shelved
October 22, 2014 – Finished Reading
June 10, 2019 – Shelved as: women-writers
June 10, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery-iceland

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

catzkc I've read 2 of Yrsa's books now. When I read the first book of her Thora series I found her Thora character quite annoying. Is this one any better in that regards?

Christine Thora walks a thin line between fine and annoying. Honestly a few times in this book I found annoying, but then I would read another few pages and be fine. She has a tendency to force her way into a mystery without cause. So the answer to the question is I don't think so. This is the only one I read, so I don't know how it compares.

catzkc Thanks! I liked her book "I Remember You" the best of the other 2 I read. And that one is not part of her Thora series - written before that I believe.