Angie McLain-Fan Girl Book Blog's Reviews > Gus

Gus by Kim Holden

11973963
6 Gus is a Golden Unicorn Stars

“Every step I take is heavier than the one that came before it.”

This has book has been on my wish list since the day I found out it was being written, it’s been a long arduous journey waiting for Gus to land on my kindle, but alas that day has finally come, and 24 hours later I’ve finished. I’m sitting here with the biggest grin on my face, goosebumps and my heart is so full it feels like it might actually explode from happiness. With Bright Side, Kim Holden took us on an emotional journey that I will never forget, she left all us heartbroken, beyond devastated, sobbing, swollen eyed, red nosed and completely wrecked. With Gus she begins putting it all back together again, piece by painful piece until we after left with the most touching and beautiful masterpiece I have EVER had the honor of experiencing. Yes I use the word experiencing here because while you may be reading her words, it’s so much more than that. You feel every single word, it affects you and you live it.

“Bright Side wasn’t only my best friend; she was like my other half…the other half of my brain, the other half of my conscience, the other half of my sense of humor, the other half of my creativity, the other half of my heart. How do you go back to doing what you did before, when half of you is gone forever.”

Gus Hawthorne the sexy, sensitive, funny, uber talented lead singer of Rook and is back. Kate, aka Bright Side, is gone and to say that Gus is grieving the loss of his best friend, is the understatement of the century. Gus is now a shadow of the man that we once knew. He is drowning in his own pain you can feel it radiating from the page. It broke my heart all over again. The anger, grief, and pain, he’s caught up in is a vicious cycle of self-destruction, self-medication, avoidance concealment. The lengths he will go to numb, avoid and hide from the pain is torture. Touring with his band, allows for him to avoid truly dealing with his loss. He’s going through the motions, but he’s not doing it well, in fact that’s a serious understatement. Then just when you think he’s truly lost, in walks a ray of hope. Scout, the Personal Assistant hired by the label to babysit Gus. Scout has no tolerance for Gus’s new found coping mechanisms, and she makes no attempts to hide it, but over the course of time they both begin to realize, that their first impressions of one another could not have been more wrong. And when Bright Side’s words reach out to Gus, it becomes crystal clear to him that it’s time to start looking at life from a different perspective. This for me was the true turning point for him, he is able to begin the healing process, in a healthy way. This part of the book was probably the hardest for me to read. I read it with tears streaming down my face.

“Please let the stress and the sadness and the anger go. It’s time to do epic again, dude.”

Kim Holden takes us on yet another unforgettable journey, Gus is just as emotional, painful, raw, unapologetic and captivating as Bright Side, but this time you can feel safe embarking on this journey knowing that it is first and foremost a story of recovery, everlasting love, and redemption. The amount of emotion Holden is able to conjure is not only astounding but the fact that she is able to get it all down on the page so beautifully never ceases to baffle me. Her characters are completely unforgettable, and this story will leave a permanent imprint on your life. Reading Gus will change the way you look at life, love, family, friends, and loss. This book will never leave me, I’m certain of that.

You know what? You wanna know how I really feel about Gus? Kim says it best so I’m just going to borrow her words and leave you with this…

“You know how sometimes something happens and it’s so much more than you ever expected? The type of so much more that leaves you speechless and thinking what the hell just happened? All you can do is laugh because you’re so astounded you don’t know what else to do?”

This is Gus.

It was Epic!

Be brave and get reading Gus, it’s truly breathtaking!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gus.

Quotes Angie McLain-Fan Girl Book Blog Liked

Kim Holden
“Bright Side wasn’t only my best friend; she was like my other half ... the other half of my brain, the other half of my conscience, the other half of my sense of humor, the other half of my creativity, the other half of my heart. How do you go back to doing what you did before, when half of you is gone forever?”
Kim Holden, Gus